Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Silly question about capacitors

Started by dieter, February 14, 2014, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieter

Forest, that is most likely only the same like with batteries in series, double voltage, same current. As two caps in series are technically equal to doubling the gap between one cap's plates, it will reduce the Capacitance to 50%, but since the energy is the same, the voltage is forced to rise.
At least that's what I think, tho I might be rather unconcentrated and or confused ATM.

MarkE, they emit E/M Radiation ? How? RF? HV? But actually that's what I meant, losses trough radiation.

BTW. by "who said that" I meant "nobody said that", it's always tricky to translate sayings 1:1.

MarkE

Forest, no there is no energy gain.  Two capacitors in series is effectively just the previous case but charging both capacitors first.  No charge transfers and no energy is lost:

Original energy = 0.5*2*C1*Vcharge^2.  = C1*Vcharge^2.
Qtotal = 2*C1*Vcharge

Vseries = Qtotal/Cseries
Cseries = 0.5*C1

Eseries = 0.5*C*V^2 = 0.5*(0.5*C1)*(2*Vcharge)^2 = C1*Vcharge^2 = Original energy

MarkE

Quote from: dieter on February 16, 2014, 07:54:33 AM
Forest, that is most likely only the same like with batteries in series, double voltage, same current. As two caps in series are technically equal to doubling the gap between one cap's plates, it will reduce the Capacitance to 50%, but since the energy is the same, the voltage is forced to rise.
At least that's what I think, tho I might be rather unconcentrated and or confused ATM.

MarkE, they emit E/M Radiation ? How? RF? HV? But actually that's what I meant, losses trough radiation.

BTW. by "who said that" I meant "nobody said that", it's always tricky to translate sayings 1:1.
Dieter anytime charge accelerates there is E/M radiation.  Connecting a full capacitor to an empty capacitor accelerates charge impeded only by the resistance and inductance.

poynt99

Dieter,

As Mark said, a tiny bit of energy is radiated at the moment you connect the two capacitors together. Turn on your AM/FM radio and you may in fact "hear" it.

However, most of the energy is dissipated (lost) in the combined resistance in the capacitors themselves, and the conductors between them.

If one could replace the connecting conductor with a pure inductance, there would be no energy loss at all during the transfer (assuming ideal capacitors).
question everything, double check the facts, THEN decide your path...

Simple Cheap Low Power Oscillators V2.0
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=248
Towards Realizing the TPU V1.4: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=217
Capacitor Energy Transfer Experiments V1.0: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=209

dieter

Surrounded by scary formulas, I made more simple experiments. The two caps, empty, were connected in a loop, then gently heated to about 45 deg. C., then I doubled their capacitance by unconnecting them, still warm. Now one has 12 mvdc, the other -12mvdc charge.

Of course I don't think that the thousands of intelligent and educted scientists made a bad job so that I have to reveal the truth about caps after 10 Minutes of experiments  ;) , it's just that science is very if not only profit-oriented, so certain aspects are never really examined. Example given the back emf is usually seen as a nasty, dangerous thing that needs to be eliminated, eg. by heat dissipation, instead of  harvesting it to save energy. After all, they want us to consume electricity since one reactor gives about 1/3 billion $ in a year.