Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Mutual respect, prejudice, safety, and personal responsibility

Started by MileHigh, February 13, 2015, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarkeizen

Quote from: CANGAS on February 19, 2015, 05:28:11 AM
Nothing is interesting about anything you have written that I have happened to read. Nothing.
Ah well.  You can't please everyone.  Still Jimboot can't seem to actually indicate how I've "ignored the context" or what specifically makes him think English isn't my primary language.  On the other hand I seem able to point precisely where Jim seems to be misinterpreted MH and how.

QuoteYou have proved yourself to be almost unbelievably naive in regard to normal human behavior, in just your one sentence.
All I said was that the English use of "personal attack" or namecalling (which is what this was about before people started lowering the bar to "nice") differentiates between criticizing ones actions and characterizing oneself.
QuoteIn both cases, the normal human most often will have no concern about attacking YOU, but only are concerned about wanting to see a correction in your BEHAVIOR.
Glad we agree.  These are not necessarily personal attacks.
QuoteFrom your point of view, you can protect your ego and fool yourself that you are doing nothing wrong, and say, to yourself "I'm DOING alright, they just DON"T LIKE ME."
Uh perhaps it wasn't clear but I'm not talking about my opinion on the use of these words.  I'm simply stating that I understand MH's POV.  I can "see" his argument.  Jimboot not so much.  Might I suggest that one thing that assures that you'll never see anything interesting in what I write is when you don't read much of it. :)  Yes, I'm deliberately acerbic I'm sure that stops some people from talking with me or helps them justify some silly behavior like Cap-Mo-Ron's puppy-dog trolling or SeaMonkeys "post and run" behavior.  It doesn't concern me because this is just entertainment.  However unlike both of those posters I do provide a clear, thoughtful argument when presented with something that isn't entirely stupid (and references upon request).
QuoteJust a secret between you and me...your "voice" is strongly reminiscent of a rather poorly written Artificial Intelligence program.
I get that you're just trying to be insulting and that's really your affair but as someone who understand more of that field than you ever will I'd just point out that if I was an AI you could win any Turing-Test style competition bar-none.

TinselKoala

What is a person, besides their behaviour? On the internet, the only observable characteristic of a person is their behaviour.

sarkeizen

Quote from: TinselKoala on February 19, 2015, 04:08:03 PM
What is a person, besides their behaviour? On the internet, the only observable characteristic of a person is their behaviour.
I'm also dead sexy.

MileHigh

Some simple common sense thoughts.

On this and related forums calling someone a shill or government agent is almost like calling someone a child molester or a rapist.  There is no way that you can know that and the vast majority of what you see with respect to electronic circuits around here is at an introductory high school level.  That's just the realty.  So you should not use these terms because you can't possibly know this is true, and there is no real rational basis for stating it anyway.  Some nutjob could believe these unfounded allegations and attack someone.  Just open your eyes and look at the world news to see it does happen on a regular basis.  So here is were prejudice, safety and personal responsibility are the main considerations for the poster.

If someone is truly trolling, then go ahead and call them a troll because it is justified.  Something like, "You are trolling me because 20 out or your last 25 posts say the same thing and you are just disrupting the thread and not advancing your argument."  (or they are just saying stupid nonsense)

However, calling someone a troll just because they disagree with you is completely wrong.  It's a total cop-out.  That's were mutual respect and personal responsibility come into play.

Likewise, just saying "don't listen to the trolls" is also completely wrong.  You can't just generalize like that.  If someone is putting forth an idea or a proposition, then that should be discussed.  Brushing off people before they even say something is wrong.

You can't "ban language" as a matter of your own convenience because you are arbitrarily labeling it as "offensive" or "abusive."  I will illustrate this with a simple example.  If someone is disingenuous then what are you supposed to say?  Really, what are you supposed to say?  If a person is being disingenuous are you trying to imply that you can't say that?  Then what are you supposed to do?  Go to the Thesaurus and look for a "non-banned synonym?"  You can see that it doesn't even make sense.

Saying, "You are being disingenuous because of reason X" is a perfectly valid thing to say.
Saying, "You are being disingenuous you stupid jackass" is unacceptable because of "stupid jackass" only.

Probably the most abused and overused term is "troll."  And most of the time it is a total cop out.  Somebody puts forward a ridiculous proposition and someone else calls it out as being fake and the first thing out of some people's mouths is "You are a troll."  Instead of trying to advance their argument or defend their proposition's technical merits by explaining stuff, i.e.; talk the tech behind your claim, instead they just say, "You are a troll."  People that do that start to diminish the credibility of their proposition and themselves personally when they do that.

MileHigh

I will throw in a final issue.  It's about your own self-respect and credibility as people interested in free energy.  If you don't ask questions or are afraid to ask questions then you diminish your own collective self-respect and credibility.  Look at the example of RomeroUK.  In his example. all of the generator coils were connected to a common DC output bus using an FWBR connected to each generator coil.  It was that common DC output bus that was supposed to connect back to the input to create a self-runner.  In the initial excitement nobody asked Romero to show the scope trace for the common DC output bus.  It made the group five years ago look like fools with no self-respect and no credibility.  I am not talking about the credibility of the person making the proposition, I am talking about the credibility of the enthusiastic observers and the people that wanted to build replications.  It's like they had no credibility or self-respect to simply ask for some relevant data.  As we know, it took Wattsup to find the hidden wires in the video.  If the group of enthusiasts had enough self-respect to ask RomeroUK to scope the DC output bus and make a few other measurements, Romero would have been busted without the need to look at the individual frames in his video clips.