Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

The Fourth Fundamental Passive Circuit Element

Started by gravityblock, March 02, 2016, 12:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravityblock

Quote from: Nink on March 02, 2016, 02:44:30 PM
HP abandoned memristors and took it off their roadmap for their super computer "The Machine".  Everyone else has been focusing on ReRAM but I think the jury is still out on if this is just another memristor variant (HP wants to say it is so the millions they flushed down the drain on Memristors didn't go to waste). Intel is now focusing on 3D Xpoint although very little is known about it and based on what has been released it looks like another CBRAM variant that is apparently 1000x NAND and higher density then DRAM.

Two letters for you at this time:  AI

Gravock
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

God will confuse the wise with the simplest things of this world.  He will catch the wise in their own craftiness.

Nink

Not sure memristors have the synaptic capabilities everyone was hoping for and I don't know any research teams focused on neuromorphic (cognitive) computing who are seriously considering memristors in the AI field.  But you can prove me wrong in 10 years. 

gravityblock

Quote from: Nink on March 02, 2016, 08:22:15 PM
Not sure memristors have the synaptic capabilities everyone was hoping for and I don't know any research teams focused on neuromorphic (cognitive) computing who are seriously considering memristors in the AI field.  But you can prove me wrong in 10 years.

No, I'll prove you wrong right now, and not in 10 years.  You are worst than wrong as always, lol.

Researchers have developed a new kind of neural circuit that uses memristor technology to replicate the complex human brain. The "intelligent" circuit was able to perform some human tasks that computers usually struggle at, such as image classification (see image and reference link below).

Reference:  Memristor circuit recreates the brain and carries out human tasks

Gravock
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

God will confuse the wise with the simplest things of this world.  He will catch the wise in their own craftiness.

gravityblock

Here's a video demonstration in how a coherer can be configured as a memristor.

The basis for the operation of the coherer is that the metal particles (beads in this case) cohere or cling together and conduct electricity much better after being subjected to radio frequencies. The radio signal from the antenna is applied directly across the coherer's electrodes. When the radio signal from a "dot" or "dash" came in, the coherer would become conductive. The coherer's electrodes were also attached to a DC circuit powered by a battery that created a "click" sound in earphones or a telegraph sounder, or a mark on a paper tape, to record the signal. Unfortunately, the reduction in the coherer's electrical resistance persisted after the radio signal was removed. This was a problem because the coherer had to be ready immediately to receive the next "dot" or "dash". Therefore a decoherer mechanism was added, to tap the coherer, mechanically disturbing the particles to reset it to the high resistance state.

Coherence of particles by radio waves is an obscure phenomenon that is not well understood even today. Recent experiments with particle coherers seem to have confirmed the hypothesis that the particles cohere by a micro-weld phenomenon caused by radio frequencies flowing across the small contact area between particles. The underlying principle of so-called "imperfect contact" coherers is also not well understood, but may involve a kind of tunneling of charge carriers across an imperfect junction between conductors.

Gravock

citfta

Thank you Gravock for the interesting posts.  I am surprised you don't have a few more people commenting about the information you have shared.  I am not sure how I would make use of the memristor but I am old enough to know that any knowledge gained may come in handy at a later time.  It is also interesting that this simple device can be made at home pretty easily.  Do you have any simple applications for it since I don't think I will be building any neural computers any time soon.

Carroll