Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

OverUnity prize money 15825 US$ total until now

Started by hartiberlin, March 28, 2007, 07:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MileHigh

Hi Poynt,

If you dig into the spec for the ultracap you will probably find something about internal leakage current such that they self-discharge to a certain extent.  I am not sure if it is linear.  I am pretty sure I read up on supercaps and how they work.  They work in a manner akin to a charcoal filter, with a lot of surface area per unit volume, with one of the trade-offs being leakage.

It blows my mind that you can get a 650 farad capacitor, even if it is low voltage.  Can you say electromagnetic rail gun?

Anyway, there is always the issue of the number of time constants the coil is switched on in a given JT circuit and if you are dissipating too much energy resistively.  Fun fun!  lol

If I had a 650 farad cap and assuming that leakage was not an issue, I would put an inductor across it such that it resonates at about 1 Hz.  Then check each day with a scope and see how long that baby lasts!  Then I would make an assassin's electromagnetic rail Bic pen gun!  Nerd heaven!  lol

MileHigh

poynt99

MH,

The leakage current for the 650F model is a whopping 1.5ma  :o

LOL, .99
question everything, double check the facts, THEN decide your path...

Simple Cheap Low Power Oscillators V2.0
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=248
Towards Realizing the TPU V1.4: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=217
Capacitor Energy Transfer Experiments V1.0: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=209

WilbyInebriated

Quote from: poynt99 on November 23, 2009, 10:46:32 PM
Stefan,

How will you measure this GJT to ensure at least 1W of power is being supplied by its output?

I would not rely on the specification of an LED. LED's can run on a wide range of voltage and current inputs, above its minimum. You can run a LED off 20mW or so (i.e. 10mA @ 2V).

I would suggest dispensing with LED's as an output power indication in favor of a 0.5W or 1W suitable value* carbon resistor. Do a control test with a DC supply and see what temperature the resistor is at with 1W input power. Then monitor the resistor's temperature for the DUT test to ensure it remains at that temperature, or higher. *A value that results in a temperature rise of say 20 to 40ºC above ambient.

As a side note, the applicant would be wise to tweak the submitted device to put out the amount of power he thinks will make the device last the 3 months and still maintain the minimum 1W output.

An AA battery should be able to source 1W of power for about 3.75 hours (assumed 1.5V output). This control test being with a standard Ohmic load, for example a 1.5 Ohm resistor. At this point, the battery would have fallen to a certain percentage of its full charge voltage. The battery however is not fully depleted of its energy.

It should be noted that using this same battery in a step-up circuit such as the JT, the time duration of this 1W output power can be extended quite a lot for two reasons:

1) The average load current on the battery is lower than with the control test, and

2) The JT facilitates access to more of the battery's stored energy, depleting it far beyond what the control test will while still being able to maintain the 1W power output.

I estimate therefore, that the AA battery would be able to charge the 650F cap from 0V to 2.6V about 8 to 10 times using the JT to charge it.

So I would suggest the temperature monitored resistor as the output power indicator (use a thermistor attached to the resistor), and see how long the GJT can keep the heat on. This will require some tweaking of the switching circuit which dumps some of the cap's energy back into the battery, such that it does so before the resistor's temperature drops below the required minimum.

For a 1W constant load, I will be surprised if this circuit (powered by a 2500mA AA battery) lasts more than 10 hours, which is a little shy of 3 months.

this idea is, with respect, asinine. why would you change something designed to create light into something that creates heat just for measurement purposes?
this is a poor approach and i might add, lazy. if the DUT is designed to create light, then measure that. don't go swapping parts out and pretending it behaves the same. a led is not a resistor... converting/perverting it to something that is easier, more convenient for you to measure is 'lan dan jiang'...
There is no news. There's the truth of the signal. What I see. And, there's the puppet theater...
the Parliament jesters foist on the somnambulant public.  - Mr. Universe

hartiberlin

Hi,
I would test it
1. in comparison with the same LED being driven by DC voltage,
so optically comparing the brightness level, which is pretty exact with
the human eye.

2. by using a calibrated resistor, which will heat up calorimetrically
some destilled water and see, how much heat energy this will
put out over time.
This is also a very precise measurement and can be used to see, how much
temperature difference the water will have afther the test and this way
you can calculate the energy spent to heat the water and thus the output
energy of the JT circuit.

P.S: Gadget should do these tests already by himself before applying for
the OU prize.

Regards, Stefan.
Stefan Hartmann, Moderator of the overunity.com forum

poynt99

The heated resistor and water is along the lines I was proposing Stefan. ;)

Just ensure that the 1W minimum power output is achieved by using a DC control.

QuoteP.S: Gadget should do these tests already by himself before applying for the OU prize.

Precisely. Will he?

question everything, double check the facts, THEN decide your path...

Simple Cheap Low Power Oscillators V2.0
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=248
Towards Realizing the TPU V1.4: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=217
Capacitor Energy Transfer Experiments V1.0: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=209