Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Temperature differences converted to electric...

Started by FreeEnergy, November 22, 2007, 03:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansvonlieven

My answer was in response to a general statement made. The device contradicts this.

By using a liquid in the bird that volatilises below zero and if you used something other than water in the glass, yes it would.

Hans von Lieven
When all is said and done, more is said than done.     Groucho Marx

Koen1

Well I don't know, Hans...

Seems to me that the evaporating water clearly cools the "beak" as it evaporates,
and thus absorbs heat from the glass and vapour as the vapour condenses, which causes the vapour to condense and the "bird" to "peck" up some more water.
So far indeed there is clearly action caused by cooling the internal medium below that of its surroundings...
But the water needs to be replaced, and the vapour and fluid inside the glass "bird" can't really cool down very much, can it? Otherwise the nicely balanced trick depending on the tiny temperature gradient caused by the water evaporating and the internal pressure difference in the vapour caused by the condensation of the vapour in the "beak" won't work... Even if it did, the bird is certainly not known for its fantastic cooling, where frost forms on it after it has been going for a while  ;)

In any case, from the wiki article you yourself supplied, quote:
QuoteThe drinking bird is basically a heat engine that exploits a temperature differential to convert heat energy to kinetic energy and perform mechanical work. Like all heat engines, the drinking bird works through a thermodynamic cycle.
<snip>
the bird will continue to dip even without a source of water, as long as the head is wet, or as long as a temperature differential is maintained between the head and body. This differential can be generated without evaporative cooling in the head -- for instance, a heat source directed at the bottom bulb will create a pressure differential between top and bottom that will drive the engine. The ultimate source of energy is heat in the surrounding environment.
A recent analysis showed that the evaporative heat flux driving a small bird was about 0.5 W, where as the mechanical power expressed in its motion was about 50 microwatts, or a total system efficiency of about 0.01%.

Damn unefficient I'd say  ;)

But perhaps you are right, and perhaps we could figure out a combination of internal and "dipping" fluids that evaporate at just the right temperature difference below zero degrees. Although I suppose the entire thing should then be kept sealed off to keep the water replacement from evaporating into the environment, but that might work...
Should be easy to try with a normal "bird"; just set up the "bird" with a full cup of water, and seal the set in an air-tight container with something like a nail hanging above the cup of water so that the condensing water drips back into the cup (possibly use plastic to suspent it whic doubles as nice sloping surface, etc). Then put it somewhere in the living room and see how long it keeps running...

Still, smart thermocoupling or the Zaev array seem like better options to use heat difference for output.

scotty1

You guy's don't understand Aussie humour do you....hehehehehe.
I would recommend reading the whole Tesla article, as the thermopile was just an analogy Tesla used to determine if he should look in that direction for a device to be constructed.....
http://www.pbs.org/tesla/res/res_art09.html
It's a bit over 1/2 way down.
-----------------------------------
Hey Hans...sorry I didn't get back yet....I nearly made that coil ages ago...still have the iron wire....never finished it.

hansvonlieven

G'day all,

@ Scottie LOL

@ Koen

There are some people seriously working on using this phenomenon to generate free energy. Find the MINTO WHEEL group in yahoo groups or just do a general search under this term and you will know what I am talking about.

Hans von Lieven
When all is said and done, more is said than done.     Groucho Marx

FreeEnergy

Quote from: hansvonlieven on November 26, 2007, 06:12:20 PM
My answer was in response to a general statement made. The device contradicts this.

By using a liquid in the bird that volatilises below zero and if you used something other than water in the glass, yes it would.

Hans von Lieven

ok thanks, so what kind of liquid(s) would be good to use for the inside and outside of the bird?

also what do you think of sealing the bird inside a high ceiling container, and at the top have a sponge so that the liquid drips down back to the "drinking water"?