Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Roll on the 20th June

Started by CLaNZeR, April 21, 2008, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletcher

Hey Dusty .. nice build - you might find that having the extension weights pointing towards the axle allows your wheel to turn faster i.e. whether they are facing out or in makes no difference to the leverage calculation [CoM shift distance => torque] but having them facing out changes the inertia of the wheel as a whole - if you want a wheel to accelerate quickly you have the majority of the mass close to the axle but it doesn't act as a great flywheel - if you want it to have good flywheeling characteristics then have the mass nearer the rim [as you do now] so it has more translational kinetic energy but it then needs more input energy to get it up to the same RPM to compare apples with apples - just a suggestion, if you want to try something different, but total kinetic energy [rotational plus translational] is the same either way.

capthook

Quote from: sm0ky2 on June 11, 2008, 01:02:41 AM
actually, im going for the whole "almost no friction" deal.. skate bearings are made for a heavy load, and have a LOT of friction. the bearings i ordered are designed for speed/precision, and have hardly any friction at all.    i couldnt find any hydrostatics like the HD bearings use, those would have been great, but these were cheap (70cents/ea) so they'll have to do. should be ready to continue working in a few days when they arrive.

Hi Smoky -

I've tried an number of bearings and have had the best luck with skate bearings over any other as to price/size/sourcing and most of all, friction.

Most are 'abec' rated - with 9 being the highest.  However - an abec rating as to 'spin'/'friction' is real inconsistent among brands/makes.  Sometimes an abec 5 will spin better than a 9!  The abec rating is really about tolerance when manufacturing and isn't a "true" statement of spin/friction.

The best I've found aren't even abec - they are 'swiss' :

Bones Swiss Skate Bearings

http://www.skate-buys.com/bonswis16pac.html  ($4.80 each)
or
http://www.skates.com/Bones-Swiss-7mm-Labyrinth-single-skate-bearing-p/brlwbx71.htm ($6.50 each)

There are alot of suppliers - but most sell by the 16 pack ($96).  The links above sell by the single.

Compared to any 'abec' skate bearing as well as a number of different 'industrial' bearings....
the Bones Swiss blow them away.

*(for example - I just got a 3" idler pulley in the mail... the bearing is SHIT.  For sure the route to take is get a pulley, then get a great bearing, and put them together... )

Order a couple (or not)
Either way - I'd like to hear the results/make/part# etc on whatever bearings you test/compare.
(and any comments from others on bearing experiences)  :)

dirt diggler

Archer has new videos on youtube.
No, really, I love beating my head against this wall.......

ramset

SO....  very very nice Boss  good idea staying away fron here   YES THE WHEEL SWEET PS Futuristic thanks for the links   Chet   
Whats for yah ne're go bye yah
Thanks Grandma