Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Why are all the wind generators so big ?surely miniturisation is the way forward

Started by mmuuzzyy, September 03, 2008, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erickdt

Considering the fact that the main complaint (justified or not) about wind turbines is their large size and visual impact on the landscape I'd say that more smaller turbines would be a good solution to everyone's problems. That said, to me, it would be worth it to invest the extra time and money to make it happen. In the long run, smaller turbines would be much easier to service and replace.

Yortuk Festrunk

The question is: "Why are all the wind generators so big ?"

The answer is: "Economy of Scale".

The sheer mass of the wind generator produces great torque and momentum once it gets turning. The larger the unit. the less speed required to produce the torque required to generate electricity.

The same goes for hydroelectric: giant dams holding back millions of tons of water to turn the turbines. You aren't going to generate much useful electricity from the little stream behind your house.

This will also be the case for a gravity wheel. a little table-top model won't do much, but something the size of a Ferris wheel will be necessary to generate the torque required to produce usable electricity.

jadaro2600

Everyone's posting someone else's idea as a youtube link or a website... surely someone has something unique to bring to this thread!?

like:  I'll just have to get 1000 miniature wind turbines and mount them on my house ..and I shall call it "The Bee Hive"

Mark69

You can use a squirrel cage as a vertical turbine, then you dont have to worry about the wind direction.  Can find these fairly easily, look for someone throwing out a a/c window unit.  Also, I was going to attempt to build this type of wind generator, but modify it to have 1 generator on each side.

Mark

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=The+Nonturbine+Wind+Alternative&emb=0&aq=f#