Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Joule Thief

Started by Pirate88179, November 20, 2008, 03:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yucca

@Jesus
I should have said I used 22 bifilar turns so thats 44 turns of copper in total.

@All
After looking at the posted pohto of the circuit I can't see the 1k res (its under the orange wire) and can only just see the tranny to the right of the LED. I am charging my batteries for my better camera as I type and will post a better photo tomorrow.

Yucca.

WilbyInebriated

you guys should check out amigo's joule thief post over a energeticforum.com
http://www.energeticforum.com/renewable-energy/1170-ssg-joule-thief-other.html
he showed a simple modification to the joule thief that runs at 14mA if i recall.
with the proper selection of components, it doesn't even budge my 0-500mA analog ammeter.
There is no news. There's the truth of the signal. What I see. And, there's the puppet theater...
the Parliament jesters foist on the somnambulant public.  - Mr. Universe

Pirate88179

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gTAqGKt64WM

@ All:

Wow, thank you all for your responses.  Above is the video posted by Innovation Station on another topic that I am using for my thief.  I am using a .825" OD x .500" ID x .250" thick ferrite toroid salvaged from a computer monitor.  I wrapped the coil (bifilar) using 22 ga. solid wire (insulated) with 18 turns. (9 wraps).  I don't recall what the transistor is on the video but I will watch it again and write it down and try to get from Radio Shack. (Only local source here)

I am on my way to work but I will respond in more detail to as many of the posts as I can when I get back.

I really appreciate all of your posts.  For those not familiar with the joule thief, watch the above video as I believe it explains it really well.

Thanks again to all who answered me.

Bill

See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

Pirate88179

@ All:

I am back now, having purchased a few 2N3904 transistors.  I was not sure if it called for stranded wire, or solid.  I wrapped the first one in solid as it was all I had.  I now bought some stranded 22 ga. and I will use that on one of my other ferrites.  I am building the first one per the video.  Then, I will try Groundloop's circuit.

@ Yucca:

Yes, that circuit looks pretty much like what I am building.  Thanks for the info and also for posting your scope shot. I am also glad to hear this will work with supercaps.  A while ago, when I first read about the joule thief, some said this only exploited a chemical cell battery due to the nature of their construction.  Now I see that it is pulsing the energy which I thought would work with supercaps, and you said it does, so that is good news.  I really appreciate your help.

@ Wilby:

Thanks, I will check that out also.

@ pesse:

Thank you also.  I found some electronic engineering classes online videos from MIT which I have been watching.  They are each an hour lecture by Dr. Walter Lewin and so far, I have watched 12 of them or so.  Almost like going to MIT for free.  In one of them, he says his one class costs his students over $20,000! (USD)  If you, or anyone else is interested, let me know and I will post some links.  I have learned more from the helpful folks on here, and from the video courses, than I have learned from reading (and re-reading) my 4 electronics textbooks.

If I have left anyone out, I am sorry.  I got a much larger response than I anticipated.  I will begin soldering my circuit in a few minutes.  If it works ok....meaning if I don't screw anything up, I will shoot some video and post it on youtube with a link posted here.

This stuff is so much fun and, like most things in my life, the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn.

Bill

Pirate88179

So far so good.  I will have two joule thief's here in a bit.  One with stranded wire, one with solid.

Bill