Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Joule Thief

Started by Pirate88179, November 20, 2008, 03:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate88179

@ Cap:

Yes, I received your thanks via pm.  No thanks needed.  I got the first link from someone on here about 6 months ago.  From there, I found the others.  I was so happy to get this information then, and I am glad to pass it on now.  I believe that is what this site is all about.....or should be. We all should exchange knowledge when we can.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

Yucca

Just some thoughts on this:

The thinnest wire I have is 30awg, I think if you use thinner wire then the average current consumption will go down and the LED will stay just as bright. If you want to use thicker wire then you can use more LEDs in parallel without upping current draw. The drive coil takes the current, the coil gauge needs balancing to the LED draw. If it´s too thick gauge then you use power and the LED won´t get any brighter.

I will try and unwind a cheap minispeaker coil out of a broken kids toy that I´ve seen kicking around the living room. I think maybe you could go REAL thin and up the number of turns a little on the drive side of the coil to make it much more efficient.

I have also had the thought of using the transistor case for the coil form using very thin wire with a superglue spot to start and finish the coil and decreasing the number of turns on the trigger coil to do away with the base resistor completely. Then it would just be 1 tranny, 1 LED and some really thin wire. Maybe the ultimate minimalist joule thief  :)

Yucca.

Pirate88179

@ Yucca:

Sounds good.  Go for it and let us know what happens.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

WilbyInebriated

Quote from: Yucca on November 22, 2008, 09:31:24 PM
Just some thoughts on this:

The thinnest wire I have is 30awg, I think if you use thinner wire then the average current consumption will go down and the LED will stay just as bright. If you want to use thicker wire then you can use more LEDs in parallel without upping current draw. The drive coil takes the current, the coil gauge needs balancing to the LED draw. If it´s too thick gauge then you use power and the LED won´t get any brighter.

I will try and unwind a cheap minispeaker coil out of a broken kids toy that I´ve seen kicking around the living room. I think maybe you could go REAL thin and up the number of turns a little on the drive side of the coil to make it much more efficient.

I have also had the thought of using the transistor case for the coil form using very thin wire with a superglue spot to start and finish the coil and decreasing the number of turns on the trigger coil to do away with the base resistor completely. Then it would just be 1 tranny, 1 LED and some really thin wire. Maybe the ultimate minimalist joule thief  :)

Yucca.

heres some data on different cores and turns
http://www.prc68.com/I/LED.shtml#BO
There is no news. There's the truth of the signal. What I see. And, there's the puppet theater...
the Parliament jesters foist on the somnambulant public.  - Mr. Universe

spinner

Hmm, this circuit (a very basic transistor oscillator with an inductive coupling) is called "The Joule Thief"? Lol,  I can assure you it's more like a "Joule waster"...

Yes, it works with only a few (easy to get or make) components, but that's about all it can do...
It actually works as a (quite inefficient) DC to AC/frequency converter, wasting at least half of the Energy available.

Maybe it's the rather low input voltage where LED is still working that fascinates you?

There are serial (three/four pin "transistor like") components on the market, which allows you >85% efficiency (DC/DC chips, usually needing only a few external low-tech components to work). They all beat this circuit (in efficiency) at least by the factor of two... And they're still not Unity.

Joule Thief? Yeah, sure...
"Ex nihilo nihil"