Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Joule Thief

Started by Pirate88179, November 20, 2008, 03:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate88179

Quote from Jeanna:

"@Bill,

Yes, actually the first 2 are the ones I was thinking of. They are big and sharp and UNmodified makes it clearer exactly what to do. Hopefully folks who have not ID'd themselves here yet, will be able to make little bright units for rooms in their homes."

Just so you know, all of those photos are of modified boards.  It is just that the third photo has even more mods to it.  I just wanted to be clear in case some newer folks were looking in.  Of course, non of them have Gadgetmall's mods on them if that is what you meant. (I am still working on trying to figure it out)

@ Gadgetmall:

Feel free to mark up the photos any way you like to show your modifications if that suits you.  I know you have explained it, but, like Jeanna, I just don't see it yet.  Thanks.

BIll
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

electricme

@ all

OK some of you have been waiting for a while for this, but here it is, my BIG TORID JOULE THIEF.

I pulled my BIG Torid out of the cubboard, and wound my JT

I used the thickist wire I could find, put 7 turns on Bifilar.

Transistor is a 2n2222

Base Tr is a 1000 ohm 1/4 watt  Brown Black Red

LED is a Hi Bright one.

IT WORKS yippppee.

How big is this thing, take a look at the LM2912 transister I put on the top of the torid
The 2n2222 transister is dwarfed by it

Whats next? Going to put heeps of 2 turn secondaries on this thing and see what happens, ha ha.

Photo0831.jpg  = Whole JT on its hugely huge torid.
Photo0832.jpg  = Closeup view, showing the turns, big wires, 7 turn primary bifilar.

More to come in a little while

jim

People who succeed with the impossible are mocked by those who say it cannot be done.

jeanna

Quote from: Mk1 on February 10, 2009, 11:49:13 PM
@all

Thank for all the positive feedback!

Think of this like a mk1 with 4 pickup coils , the positive of one coil set feeding the the other in perfect sync.

Mark
MK1,
I went to the butler site today. I think it is all very clear in my mind but then when I see a schematic like this I get twisted around. I get the concept, I believe.

I want to ask if you and I are thinking the ac is coming from the jt. I am pretty sure Butler is not saying that, but maybe they are. It just seems they keep on saying ac source.

My thinking is that the ac is right here in the joule thief and the next core is wound in a single direction and therefore is dc. The battery is feeding them both through a variable resistor, and when the tuning is right the saturation/unsaturation will make and break this just like a transistor, but without the problems inherent in the transistor.

Is this what you are thinking also?

Then the next thing to do is add the secondary and light the light.

All the research on core types and winding proportions and other details are being worked out by the whole group, and they are not yet ready, IMO. When these 2 parts come together we will really have a thing that can go anywhere and light those lights... Then on to cookers etc.

Is this the page you are on?

thank you,

jeanna

EDIT ADD:
Wow Jim, that toroid is really big. Drop it on a mouse!

See what you get from a single turn? then 2 then 3. please. (after that, you can drop it on the mouse.)  -j

electricme

@all
OK I removed the flimsy Red positive wire, soldered a switch to the Torid (+) turn, soldered a heavier Red wire from switch to the battery holder.

Next I unsoldered the 1K ohm resistor, then connected my new tool (Resistor Substitution Wheel) and cliped its leads (black and red clips) to where the resistor was.

Selected the 1k on the resistor wheel

Turned on the switch, and the LED glowed brightly. ;D

Discovery time, this circuit works up to a resistance of 2.2k ohms
It also works down to a low of just 5 OHMs, but I think that is really tooooo much like a short so I took it back up to 1K ohms

The best resistor to use is between 1K ohms and 820 ohms ;)

OHMS     RESULT Observed
         1 = 0 LED off
         5 = LED turns on          Tr gets hot
       10 = LED on                   Tr still hot
22 - 56  = LED on                  Tr warm to cool
up - 1k  = LED on                  Tr cool works OK
   2.2K  = LED goes very dim  Tr still OK
above   =  LED goes out

See pics

jim

pic 0383.jpg = Resistor Selection Wheel is connected to JT
pic 0386.jpg = 1 K ohm resistor is removed, Red and Black alloigator clips attatched to Tr1 and torrid bifilar junction.
pic 0385.jpg = RSW is set on 5 ohms setting

People who succeed with the impossible are mocked by those who say it cannot be done.

Mk1

@jeanna

I am not sure i get your question , but in the plan there are 6 coil on one toroid , 2 for the jt at 180 degrees and i 2 other coil on each side , like the mk1. The pair( one from each side are connected in series  (make sure there polarity match) then you rectify it (but a bit differently so you isolate the positive side of the ac wave ) and send it back in the second pair (you can adjust the feedback with a resistor )also connected in series then the output , could be rectified for dc or use as ac.

The mag amp can be used in many ways , this is a variation.

Mark