Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

OLPC = One Laptop Per Child. Give open source connectivity to someone

Started by jeanna, November 13, 2008, 11:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exxcomm0n

While browsing one of the sites dedicated to techy types dealing with bits and bytes I found this posting that does have a bit to do with the OLPC concept and trying to rescue it from rising costs.

It seems the SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System) has been hacked (not meaning "broken into", but instead transformed) into a cheap OLPC contender to battle the XO cost that rose from the predicted $100 USD to $188 USD.

Take a look at the article here:

http://www.insidetech.com/news/articles/2791-mit-students-build-12-pc-based-on-nes?referral=IT_nlet_20081230
When I stop learning, plant me.

I'm already of less use than a tree.

jeanna

Hi excommon,

MIT is such a place where the students would do this sort of thing.

I am positive that by the time they made it equivalent, it would cost the same. It is the monitor, afterall that made this xo laptop cost over the expected amount. but the monitor is really clear in color and switches to black n white for a clear pic in the sun. It is really hard to see anything on a laptop in the sun.

I am glad I joined the promotion. It is over. Mine has saved me from disappearing while my hard drive gets replaced.

Thanks for the article.

jeanna

BTW sugar is an os that anyone can get. There are also emulators for windows and mac machines. I am wondering if the mesh which is integral to the sugar os, could be added to everyone's computers to allow for an international conference and collaborating network that is open source. Everyone having it would give enough local antenna power to reach around the world should the internet ever go down. I wonder if enough people care about that?