Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Harvesting Energy from Earths Electrostatic Potential

Started by fritz, June 20, 2010, 09:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz

Imagine 2 huge conductive disc´s mounted lets say 1m appart isolated above ground, in between a 1F Capacitor.
After some time, the capacitor will be charged up according electric potential level near groud - about 200V/m - to 200V.
If charged, the charge of the capacitor will be about 200Coulomb, thats an energy of 20kJ.
By connecting a load I can harvest that energy - disconnect and recharge - ad infinitum.

The question is what diameter of discs would I need for what charging speed.

Any comments ?
lets try out.

fritz

well - will try that out somewhere in "free" space.
In my backyard there is only a bunch of mV using 1m2 disc 1m appart from ground.
That has a capacity of pF - so connecting a voltmeter is difficult.
If I add a capacitor - the wire of the cap distorts my field....
..Have to find my electrostatic meter in the lab ...

exnihiloest

Quote from: fritz on June 20, 2010, 09:27:26 AM
After some time, the capacitor will be charged up according electric potential level near groud - about 200V/m - to 200V.

It will not. In order a capacitor to charge, charges must move away from an electrode and go to the other.
An electric field in space can't charge an isolated capacitor because there is no path for the electrons to flow.

fritz

If I have some caps in series - and charge them - the charge might distribute evenly on the caps - if they have identical parameters.
If I build a plate capacitor - with extra discs inside - this is an identical setup to caps in series.
Whats the difference between floating, isolated discs in an electric field in space and the inner caps of a series cap row ?
So if I have a huge disc cap in space - there is one parasitic cap between lower disc and ground - and another between upper plate and ionosphere.
Well - maybe a single disc which forms a capacitor to ground performs better.

Low-Q

Quote from: exnihiloest on June 21, 2010, 05:34:14 AM
It will not. In order a capacitor to charge, charges must move away from an electrode and go to the other.
An electric field in space can't charge an isolated capacitor because there is no path for the electrons to flow.
I think the 1F capacitor is connected to the discs - respectively one disc for each pole on the capacitor. The electric current will flow from each disc and charge the capacitor.

Vidar