Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Flywheel Generators

Started by nightwynd, May 07, 2006, 10:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake

QuoteIt seems that everywhere I look, someone has posted the equations of how much energy you can get OUT of a flywheel...but nobody has the formula for how much energy it takes to get the thing wound up in the first place... According to Newton's laws it takes less energy to keep an object moving than it takes to GET it moving...in the case of a flywheel, just how much energy are we talking about? I believe that this formula would be the single most helpful thing to the cause of an overunity flywheel generator. If we know how much energy it takes to KEEP it spinning, we can then figure out how much of a load we can take off of it to power an electric motor to keep it going...if anyone can find this formula please post it here!

The answer is quite simple.

from http://www.upei.ca/~physics/p261/projects/flywheel1/flywheel1.htm

Stored energy = sum of kinetic energy of individual mass elements that comprise the flywheel
        Kinetic Energy = 1/2*I*w2 , where
        I = moment of inertia (ability of an obeject to resist changes in its rotational velocity)
        w = rotational velocity (rpm)
        I = k*M*R2  (M=mass; R=radius); k = inertial constant (depends on shape)
Inertial constants for different shapes:
        Wheel loaded at rim (bike tire); k = 1
        solid disk of uniform thickness; k = 1/2
        solid sphere; k = 2/5
        spherical shell; k = 2/3
        thin rectangular rod; k = 1/2

Use the above to calculate the energy stored in the flywheel.  (The formula looks a little different, but it is essentially energy = mass * velocity squared in a rotating form)

It took exactly that much energy to get the flywheel up to speed. (in reality, it took more than that, because of the losses in the system.)

Bottom line - there is no energy in a flywheel that you didn't put there.  And when you take energy out, it is no longer there.

nightwynd

Sorry 'bout the late reply here, havent' visited half baked ideas for a while :D

The formulae that you posted there Jake are the same ones that I've seen other places...that's the formula for how much energy is stored into the flywheel...but what I'm wondering is just how much energy it takes to KEEP a flywheel spinning at a current speed.
Need motivation? Read: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
Sincerely - nightwynd

Mac

Well I'm rather late responding as well, but I just found this forum...

Quotebut what I'm wondering is just how much energy it takes to KEEP a flywheel spinning at a current speed.

Not much, providing the flywheel isn't attached to a load. Basically all that must be overcome is friction (this includes wind/bearing drag etc.). A body in motion tends to stay in motion... ;)

However, you must realize that a rotating flywheel is much like a battery. It can only store energy which is supplied getting it up to speed (as mentioned above). Once you connect it to a load (no matter how tiny), a bit of the energy is lost on every revolution.

So... If even you have a machine that will power itself thru 99.99% of a revolution, it will draw the other .01% from the spinning flywheel and this energy must be replaced or the machine will eventually slow to a stop.

Now if you have a large power stroke such as a one-cylinder 4-cycle engine provides, a flywheel is a great way to store energy from the combustion. This stored energy is then expended as momentum to help the engine "coast" through the ensuing exhaust, intake and compression strokes - and also to help smooth out the engine's power output. But it doesn't create or multiply energy. ;)

Cheers, Mac

macelyne

Hello Jake,

I think there is a mistake in your calculation:

w, angular velocity is not measured in rpm.

What I found is w=2*pi*f

f is the frequency.

Frequency of a wheel means, as i understood

revolution per second performed

and is measured in Hertz ( Period / revolution per second ).

A second thing:

the formula is E= ( 1/2 ) * I * w? ( not w2 )

lltfdaniel1

yeah, that would be more easy to under stand, then lets say , a magnet motor, and some mystical electric double flux, yeah, it you had a small wheel, it would spin up quickly,compared to a big wheel,

edit,

hey why not stick some permanent magnets to take load of the motor a bit, the flux will help push the fly wheel faster,

hehe.
68:16 But by this, THEIR KNOWLEDGE (science - 1 Tim. 5:20), THEY PERISH, and by this also its power consumes them.

twh 1:1 Thousands of earth years ago,far away,in this galaxy,on the morning star(venus),the Lord Guardian Of Divinity,King ruler and Guardian of the Universe,put down a revolution led by Lucifer(Iblis)