Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

How do i measure electrical power over time ?

Started by DeepCut, December 03, 2010, 11:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepCut

Hi.

I've just read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_%28physics%29

but i don't understand how i would calculate say, if my 1kW heater was on for 3 minutes, how many watts would it have used ?

Thanks,

Gary.

fritznien

Quote from: DeepCut on December 03, 2010, 11:39:43 PM
Hi.

I've just read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_%28physics%29

but i don't understand how i would calculate say, if my 1kW heater was on for 3 minutes, how many watts would it have used ?

Thanks,

Gary.
watts is a unit of power, the rate energy is used. a thousand watts is a thousand for one second or 1000 hours.
energy is the power times the time it is used.
3 minutes times 1000 watts is 3000 watt minutes or one twentieth of a kilowatt hour.
fritznien

rave154

Deep,

power ( watts ) is a measure of joules burned (energy ) per second, much like speed is a measured of miles covered for hour...

so, your 1KW heater left on for 3 minutes would consume...

P := 1KW x 180(seconds) ..

:= 1000 x 180 = 180,000 joules of energy used.

DeepCut

Thanks both of you that's totally clarified it for me :)

Gary.

TinselKoala

Quote from: DeepCut on December 04, 2010, 01:21:39 PM
Thanks both of you that's totally clarified it for me :)

Gary.

Did it? Let's see if I can muddy the waters a bit then.
:P

Your original question wasn't answered, though, and although the answers you got are correct they don't clear up the confusion, IMHO, so here's my two dollars worth:

The original question: "If my 1kW heater was on for 3 minutes, how many watts would it have used ?"

And the answer -- which I don't see in the otherwise excellent answers -- is 1000 Watts. (not "Used" but "dissipated" is preferred)

This is because the Watt is a unit of power and is "instantaneous" --- and more importantly IS NOT A CONSERVED QUANTITY in that the number of Watts "into" a system does not necessarily equal the number of Watts "out".

The Watt is a Rate of Energy Usage. Energy is the conserved quantity: what goes in is equal to what comes out. But it doesn't have to come in and go out at the same Rate...and that's what seems to trick a lot of people into thinking they've got OU or COP>1 when all they've done is amplify power, instead of energy.

So, since the Watt is a Rate, your question is like asking: If I drive my car at 60 miles per hour for three minutes, how fast am I going?
Of course you are going 60 miles per hour.

But what's important is not how fast but how far: How Far do you go in 3 minutes at 60 mph?
If you are using 1 kiloWatt for 3 minutes, how much ENERGY have you used in that time?
So the Watt, a unit of Power, is defined as a Rate of Energy Usage: 1 Watt = 1 Joule per Second. The Joule is the accepted Energy Unit in SI.
So "how far", not "how fast" becomes 1 kW for 3 minutes = 1 kW for 180 seconds = 1000 joules/second * 180 seconds = 180,000 Joules of energy "used".
Or rather, transferred from electricity to heat.