Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

a Voltaic Pile Battery

Started by sm0ky2, June 10, 2011, 01:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthecuttingedge2005

Quote from: sm0ky2 on June 11, 2011, 01:36:18 AM
is that what that is? Zinc?  i tried to sand a few of them, but it seems the pennies made after 1989 or so are not copper, but actually copper-coated, with a silverish alloy inside, that is much closer to aluminum on the electrochemical scale, only producing 0.15v between penny and aluminum, so i left the copper coating on to get the full 0.5v per cell.
Zinc would make sense... i didnt bother to study up on it, just figured it was best to not sand them, but clean them instead.

My goal is to achieve at least 12 volts from this. To test its pheasibility as a "doomsday power supply", made from very-common materials.

Hi Smoky.

If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date of 1982 or earlier, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating.

zinc is a very good negative element and copper being the positive.
I even tried it with silver which is better than copper. carbon is lighter and cheaper and works pretty good too in place of copper.

here is an electronegative chart.
http://www.standnes.no/chemix/periodictable/electronegativity-chart.htm
on this chart the lower the electronegative number is more positive compared to another higher in number is more negative.

the best battery would be of Cesium and Fluorine, Cesium being the most positive element and Fluorine being the most negative element. Fluorine is a very reactive element in fact Fluorine reacts the most of any reactive element known to man. it is the most negative element.

Cesium is also a double electron donor, it emits 2 electrons instead of 1 in chemical reactions. it is the most positive element.

the type of electrolyte you use makes a major difference as well. it must react efficiently with both anode and cathode elements.

salt water, may not be a good electrolyte for all element combination's.

Jerry 8)

sm0ky2

thanks Jerry,

i guess the plan from here on, is to get rid of the aluminum cans, because they degrade rapidly.
and instead, sand the coating off of the newer pennies, and alternate them with older ones.
using a conbination of copper and zinc. which is closer to Volta's original battery (salt water verson, as i am not going to mess with sulfuric acid)

I was fixing a shower-rod, slipped and hit my head on the sink. When i came to, that's when i had the idea for the "Flux Capacitor", Which makes Perpetual Motion possible.

sm0ky2

after sanding a few pennies down, i had some concens about remaining bits of copper on the zinc pennies interfering with the reaction. So i ran a few preliminary tests.

a two-pennie cell is reading in at a whopping 0.9v

two-cell stack is measuring well over 1.5v

so this works great, and should be more "durable" than using aluminum cans.
i'll post more pics and results as the battery grows...

think i need to rig up some sort of penny-vice and get the dremmell going here.
I was fixing a shower-rod, slipped and hit my head on the sink. When i came to, that's when i had the idea for the "Flux Capacitor", Which makes Perpetual Motion possible.

onthecuttingedge2005

Quote from: sm0ky2 on June 11, 2011, 11:41:31 AM
thanks Jerry,

i guess the plan from here on, is to get rid of the aluminum cans, because they degrade rapidly.
and instead, sand the coating off of the newer pennies, and alternate them with older ones.
using a conbination of copper and zinc. which is closer to Volta's original battery (salt water verson, as i am not going to mess with sulfuric acid)

vinegar or concentrated lemon or lime juice and or both could be used safely and they are acids.

Jerry 8)

sm0ky2

i thought about that when i started
but the reason i went with salt-paper was sustainability.

salt paper cells last a lot longer, by absorbing moisture from the air.
so even when it appears "dry", there is still voltage/current available from te battery.
whereas a lemon-cell will dry out quickly and stop working.