Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

quentron.com

Started by Philip Hardcastle, April 04, 2012, 05:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarkeizen

Quote from: MarkE on May 23, 2014, 12:28:45 PM
Just the same, I would be happy to help him work out solid test protocols if he wants my help.
My advice would be to make them as strict as possible.  The mathematical reason behind statements like: "Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" is the simple fact that given a test with a false positive rate of 1 in 1 000 000 and two hypotheses H1 (very likely to be true P(H1) = 0.8 ) and H2 (very likely to be untrue P(H2)= 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000008).

H1 has a 1 in 2 000 000 chance of getting a false positive.
H2 has approximately a 1 in 1 000 000 chance of getting a false positive.

So evidence for H2 is worth only *half* the evidence for H1.

MarkE

Quote from: sarkeizen on May 23, 2014, 04:10:10 PM
My advice would be to make them as strict as possible.  The mathematical reason behind statements like: "Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" is the simple fact that given a test with a false positive rate of 1 in 1 000 000 and two hypotheses H1 (very likely to be true P(H1) = 0.8 ) and H2 (very likely to be untrue P(H2)= 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000008).

H1 has a 1 in 2 000 000 chance of getting a false positive.
H2 has approximately a 1 in 1 000 000 chance of getting a false positive.

So evidence for H2 is worth only *half* the evidence for H1.
A lot of people have trouble with the (1 - N) that frequents statistics.

Philip Hardcastle

I think the only sensible reply to people trying to ascribe probabilities that have no actual knowledge is that of the PM Benjamin Disraeli;

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

"it is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point."

I cannot for strict confidentiality reasons divulge anything on the topics of what is to be released in August, so I will use the British Royal position of making no comment, but with a slightly cheeky smile.

As I stated before I am happy to debate M Demons on the Karpen thread, but not here.

Thanks.

sarkeizen

Quote from: Philip Hardcastle on May 23, 2014, 07:40:27 PM
I think the only sensible reply to people trying to ascribe probabilities that have no actual knowledge
Since we're back to not actually speaking my name...which is kind of cool it makes me feel like some kind of diety or Lovecraftian mythos.  I'll assume you're talking about me.  Every prediction I've made about your producing quenco has been correct.  Right?  Not one wrong prediction from me.  Period.  100% correct. Right? Every prediction on the same issue, by you has been wrong.  Right? 100% There is not one working quenco. 

So remind me again, which one of us has no actual knowledge?

Quoteis that of the PM Benjamin Disraeli;
Because it's always good to get your advice on mathematics from politicians and amateurs instead of actual mathematicians.

I will use the British Royal position of making no comment, but with a slightly cheeky smile.
...to cover up your inevitable failure.  Were I giving odds that you were a charlatan, your ability to adopt the same ridiculous posturing every summer for the past what three? four? years.  Would shift the odds in favor of that conclusion.

As I stated (stupidly) before I am happy to debate M Demons on the Karpen thread (which has nothing to do with Maxwell's Demon), but not here (on a thread where I claim to have constructed a Maxwell's Demon)
For once Philip, you and I are on the same page.

Thanks.

MarkE

Mr. Hardcastle statistics can be very helpful to those who want to find the truth.  The fact that some have abused figures by misapplying them doesn't change the utility of statistics.  It merely tells us that we must carefully evaluate the logic used and actual evidence provided in support of any argument.  If you have intellectual property concerns that prevent open discussion of test protocols, then I hope you will do whatever you can to vet your proposed test protocols with qualified persons in private.