Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Donald Smith Device self looping no cap no batteries bright Lights !

Started by gadgetmall, November 09, 2012, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verpies

Quote from: TinselKoala on November 14, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
Hmmm... perhaps there's something wrong with your image viewer. At 100 percent size, I can't really see much difference in the two files. There is a bit of color shift. The jpg is smaller,
No, according to your own screenshot, the PNG is smaller (27.6kB) versus the JPG (42.5kB).

Case in point:
Below am attaching a magnification of your own screenshot.  The second one is with a yellow flood fill for emphasis. (click on them to view them at full resolution)
If you think that JPG are as good as PNGs for crisp diagrams, after seeing this, then we'll never reach a consensus.

stprue

Great, so one file has better quality then the other and both can easily be read.  Thank you for the analysis.

verpies

Quote from: e2matrix on November 15, 2012, 12:26:04 AM
Just a typo - what Qwert said.   I think the spelling 'Stefan' is less common here than it probably is in Germany where he's from.   
When it comes to names and proper names the rule is not to change spellings.  I did not know the owner of the Energetic forum and sincerely thought that you mention Stephen as its owner.

Quote from: e2matrix on November 15, 2012, 12:26:04 AM
I'm surprised you didn't understand my intent with only an error in spelling and it seems you still don't want to deal with the fact that you are taking bandwidth from one web site for another web site. 
Yes, crosslinking takes the  bandwidth from one web site for another web site, but I am not convinced that Stefan would mind since such links bring more users to his site.
As for my reason for crosslinking, I think I already made a good point why JPEGs are INFERIOR to PNGs for crisp schematic diagrams. (remember that EnergeticForum does not allow downloading PNGs)

Yes, an external  depository for images would offload overunity.com but it would also stop bringing users to overunity.com.  I will stop crosslinking if Stefan admonishes me and I will send you the image privately so you can link an unaltered copy of it on EnergeticForum, somehow.
BTW: An external depository is an unacceptable option to me if the owner of such repository requires registration or is not a private company or cooperates with non-private companies or engages in compiling dossiers of its users (e.g. like FaceBook).

verpies

Quote from: stprue on November 15, 2012, 07:33:57 AM
Great, so one file has better quality then the other and both can easily be read.  Thank you for the analysis.
It's not only about the aesthetics of the diagram and its size.

I sometimes waste an hour editing diagrams that were saved as JPEGs because I cannot flood select colors easily and quickly edit these diagrams when I want to make some changes or additions (see the example with the yellow flood fill).
All of this because someone who edited the diagram before, though that JPEGs are "good for everything" and saved it in lossy this format.

TinselKoala

Quote from: hoptoad on November 15, 2012, 03:43:40 AM
T.K. thanks for the info. Is it very involved to make Ubuntu 11.10 run gnome by default on start-up? Sorry everybody for the off topic question
Well, it was "involved" enough to piss me off royally and it soured me on my long-term relationship with Ubuntu for a couple of days. Basically you have to download and install a couple of packages, then the login screen gives you the option to use "Gnome Classic" and another old gnome along with Unity, and once you select it, then that becomes the default. It lost my desktop image, though, and I had to re-find it. There are guides to follow, like this one:
http://www.flynsarmy.com/2011/11/how-to-make-ubuntu-11-10-more-usable/
But there are still a few minor annoyances, like the clock is in the center of the top taskbar and I can't figure out how to move it to the right side where I used to have it, and I can't figure out how to make Thunar my default file manager (tried all the suggested ways, no luck) .... but after a day of fooling around I am back to full functionality with a familiar desktop, and many things do seem to work better. Programs launch faster, the webcam video system works better, WINE seems to work better... but it took a couple of hours of frustration to get my Canon printer back working and shared across the WLAN.  The ATI graphics driver upgrade worked flawlessly, though... thank goodness.
I and a lot of other Linux users are going, "What the hell were they thinking?" This is the first Ubuntu upgrade I've done that forced a total change in the look and feel of the system and required major effort to get back to "normal".... and I've been using Ubuntu since version 6, and on a dozen computers.
But it is possible to get back to "normal" and with better performance .... only now I'm scared to upgrade to version 12. I really think they shot themselves in the foot, and I have read rumors that it was because of some conflict in personnel. Hopefully they will remember in the future that computers are tools and people use them to work, and if the OS changes so much between sub-versions that the users become Beta-testers.... that is not a good thing. Ah well.... what do I expect for free.