Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Silly question about capacitors

Started by dieter, February 14, 2014, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MileHigh

Farmhand:

QuoteSame thing with two 10000 liter water tanks side by side, one empty one full, if you let the full one equalize with the empty one, the same amount of water is there. None wasted. If you want all the water in the first tank just leave it there.

No water is wasted but you have lost one half of the GPE of the water.  It has all turned into heat.  There is no point in challenging the premise of the experiment, it is a given.

MileHigh

TinselKoala

Quote from: Farmhand on February 14, 2014, 11:03:43 PM
My undertanding is stored energy is potential energy and energy at work is kinetic energy.

I made a P.S. to my last post.
Sure, OK. I was just trying to make the point that the equation has the same form (and for the same reason if you look at the full derivation) as the formula for KE of a moving mass. The energy on a capacitor can also be expressed as QV/2 where Q is the charge in Coulombs. This is more analogous to "potential energy", as it is linear in voltage.

Farmhand

Quote from: MileHigh on February 14, 2014, 11:38:23 PM
Farmhand:

No water is wasted but you have lost one half of the GPE of the water.  It has all turned into heat.  There is no point in challenging the premise of the experiment, it is a given.

MileHigh

WHo is challenging the premise of the experiment. I helping to explain in layman's terms. Why energy is expended and where. How it can be a more efficient expenditure or not.

Look what I also wrote.

QuoteWith no reason to do a thing it is always a loss. It's like making a big high stack of bricks then leveling it out into two shorter stacks it takes energy to make the big stack into the two small stacks. It cannot do itself, something must do it.

Cheers

P.S. Imagine making one tall stack of bricks by hand then changing that to two shorter stacks, does that take no energy to do ? No you must expend energy to get from state one to state two. Then if you want to make the two stacks back into one tall one you must expend more energy again. It's really quite simple. The amount of brick remains the same.

Also the higher the stack gets the harder it becomes to add another brick to the top of the stack.  ;) It depends on how you take them down and if you store the energy or not when you do it as to how much loss is involved.

So I'm not saying energy is not expended.

Tinsel, I get ya, energy is energy, I probably didn't word my post well. There is no assurance that the potential energy will be converted into "wanted work" at any specific efficiency.

Cheers

Farmhand

Farmhand:

MileHigh

Well yes of course. It would take an additional input of energy to equalize the water "up" to a level with the same top height as the first one. In other words equalize "up" (rather than equalize down) and the GPE would then be increased.  That's just common sense.

MarkE

Farmhand:

MileHigh
And this is of course the problem that our friend webby can't bring himself to see with the scenario he set up in defense of our favorite investor funds funeral director Mr. Wayne.