Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

A battery that lasts!

Started by minnie, July 10, 2014, 06:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madebymonkeys

Quote from: minnie on July 11, 2014, 01:36:40 PM
   Been looking at university of California using sand to replace graphite in
lithium cells.
Anyone know if this stands up theoretically?
             John.

I suspect it does, the researchers aren't daft. It's only replacing the graphite anode though.
The batts are still full of nasty stuff and likely to still be pricey.
As for making a three fold increase in batt life in a cellphone, I see a reduction in cellphone thickness more likely :-)

Give the tech a few years!

Madebymonkeys

Quote from: hartiberlin on July 11, 2014, 02:07:57 PM
Car batteries are made to fail after a short period of time.

It is much better to build its own lead acid batteries which can be maintained.

You can use rooftop plumb lead foils to build the plates and use
sulfuric acid in silicic acid ( crystalline silica )
as the electrolyte and binder.

The only problem is to find the right cases for the batteries as you can not buy empty battery cases...

If anybody has a source for empty battery cases in Europe, please let me know.

Many thanks.

As the battery industry uses too thin lead plates, these fail very shortly after 2 or 3 years...
but if you use the thick rooftop plumb lead foils these hold much longer !

Regards, Stefan.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone of my friends having to replace a car battery even after many many years!
Most branded car batteries have a 5 year guarantee. This typically means they will outlast this timeframe by some margin....otherwise the company would go bankrupt, right.

mscoffman

Stephen,

What I would do is build one of these 2V acid/lead cells which could be coupled together via heavy gauge cable wires. Once you determine
the case volume I think I would buy a similar battery from Trojan or Rolls Surrette to help determine the details how many plates,
spacing, area, bottom supports etc.  What I would probably do is to throw the tops out after making a 3d printer design that uses those
existing HO catalytic filler tops could screw into and two battery terminal treatments. If you are molding the plates from liquid lead
you may want to consider a fully covered tinned copper wire to decrease cell resistance.

Here is a 2V case;

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Lead-Acid-Battery-Case_638043050.html

There are other cases from this supplier if you want different. You may want to ask an operator for assistance in finding similar
items since searching for words just confuses things.

mscoffman

Quote from: Madebymonkeys on July 11, 2014, 05:39:49 PM
Wow, I have never heard of anyone of my friends having to replace a car battery even after many many years!
Most branded car batteries have a 5 year guarantee. This typically means they will outlast this timeframe by some margin....otherwise the company would go bankrupt, right.

You live in SoCal or Florida right? You really can not exchange the use of these two different types of batteries. Battery designs
are amazingly unstable between existing companies. You have never left your headlamps on on an older battery and then have
to replace this used car battery a month later? You need to be careful because even a new auto battery is only rated for eight such
deep cycle events! For electronics batteries are rated at so many Ah Ampere Hours, Vehicle starting batteries are rated in CCA
cold cranking amps instead. I've just completed a one year study of acid/lead batteries so if you have any questions let me know.
The interesting thing is that lead metal is a commodity, so battery price is a poor indicator of battery quality! There are a number of
specialty auto batteries coming on line, these are very high price though.

:S:MarkSCoffman

minnie

The storage battery sure is a marvellous device compared to say an air receiver or
super cap. The voltage of a good battery holds up until  the thing is virtually empty.
  The big snag is with every charge the capacity drops, albeit a small amount.
There is research going on with quinones which could do away with the toxic metals.
I realise it's unproven so far but the flow battery seems quite a good idea to me, I
don't know much about these things, it may be totally inappropriate. I had the idea
that a flow battery may be able to be rejuvenated whereas a solid plate battery needs
totally recycling.
               John.