Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Potential problems with series capacitors?

Started by d3x0r, July 12, 2014, 05:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate88179

Farmhand:

I have read that you can only put 2 supercaps in series/parallel.  Maxwell boostcaps on the other hand, claim that you can place as many of them in your circuit as you want.  I do not know why this might be but, I read this a few years ago...for what it is worth.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

MarkE

Quote from: Farmhand on July 13, 2014, 01:38:24 AM
I discovered the same issue with my supercapacitors, I wanted to put two in series to get a 5.4 volt capacitor but soon realized
that I would need to limit the voltage on each in order to avoid over volting one due to unbalanced charge.
(isn't volting a word ?) Seems not but i'll use it.

I could not think of any way to correct the issue without consuming power except to use a voltage source (battery) across each one.

Which of course is just silly unless the battery is a low output battery (home made cells) and I allow the supercaps to charge from
them until maximum voltage is achieved then use the caps until the voltage is too low then repeat. A circuit could do that
automatically for me and harness the low output of the home made cells via the capacitors intermittently.

Do 5.5 v double layer super caps have some kind of internal balancing ?

The series situation is one of  charge distribution.  A voltage limiter as shown above will with the right value for the zener protect the capacitor from over voltage.  If the application is  a series stack of capacitors with source/load only connected across the  whole stack then the two diode per capacitor solution's only limitation is the series impedance of the zener.  That will be a factor if you apply a steep current ramp such as turning on a power supply that does not have a reasonable current limit  Otherwise the diodes will conduct only during boundary conditions and will otherwise be invisible.  This technique has been used very successfully with many capacitors in series.

Capacitors of any kind should not have any problems with parallel connections per se.  Because of their very low impedance, one can get large current transients with super caps.  Those current transients can develop voltages across wiring resistance and inductance that could become a problem.

d3x0r

They actually sell charge balancing IC modules...

this one is op-amp based with a mosfet... http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/supcapvoltlim.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lets-learn-about-Super-Capacitors-A-Practical-G/step7/Balancing-Your-Series-Banks/

comparison of some balancing methods (zener, resistance, boost-converter (mosfet)) http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/41/14/82/PDF/ESSCAP2006_Venet_2.pdf

looks like getting a series balancing chip might be a better way to go....
ALD810025 4 cap series thing $2.91 last 2 digits is voltage so a 27 is 2.7....

MarkE

The ALD8100 data sheet looks very nice.  If nothing else, it will save you space.

d3x0r

Quote from: MarkE on July 13, 2014, 06:46:08 PM
The ALD8100 data sheet looks very nice.  If nothing else, it will save you space.
ya... space...

It is unfortunately a unique part, and only package is 16-SOIC; There is a breakout board for another couple dollars.... *sigh* I'm no good with tiny things :)

2.7V zeners are only $0.10; but are really low current (500mA)
Although these chips are only 80mA...

---
Edit: Regarding your diode thing... won't the 0.7V drop of the PN affect it?  like then should I use a 2.0V zener?