Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Mutual respect, prejudice, safety, and personal responsibility

Started by MileHigh, February 13, 2015, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboot

Quote from: MileHigh on February 17, 2015, 04:34:53 AM
I am not even talking about the military, I am talking about the online forums.  Surely you read the sentence and you understood it?  So not enough guts to even answer the perfectly reasonable questions and we all know what the answers really are anyways, including you.  Playing dumb on your part is just silly.

You can forget about playing the innocent angel or the poor wounded animal. 

Finally, you play the "you must be socially isolated" card which is just another version of calling someone a shill or a government agent.  You tried to be a smart ass and dug a really deep hole for yourself in this thread.  You are an example of why I made this posting in the first place.  It's not about me, it's about calling people names like shill or government agent when it's just a cop out and it's irresponsible and could put people in danger.  That is what this thread is really about.

People can look at your behavior here as an example of why we need to not insult and attack people, why we need to communicate as adults and not feign word games or make intentional lapses in logic or use immature logic that anybody can spot from a mile away.

My message to you is to just be real.  That is where you had a problem with this whole debate.  You were a faker from the beginning and you pushed it pretty far.  Saying that using the term "pretentious" is really wrong and insulting is totally fake on your part.  i.e.; We all know what the answers really are anyways, including you.

Just be real, and respect others.  Simple as that.
I don't know what you think respect means but you are the one calling people names. Most people consider this disrespectful. Do you not see the irony?

I have not attacked nor insulted you. You have labelled me as immature baby, a frying brain, gutless (BTW I'm not anonymous you are), fake, smart ass, (so we know you're American at least) dumb and silly.

I'm fairly sure if you said that to a lot of people they would consider it disrespectful and probably childish too.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

CANGAS

Quote from: sarkeizen on February 16, 2015, 10:51:59 PM
What I tend to feel about the "shill" comments is bored.  I think I've said this before if someone really and truly believed that say someone like myself got a literal check, cash, ETF, paypal (whatever the shadow government is using these days - Bitcoin?) when I criticize people.  I would find that terribly interesting.  I would absolutely love to talk to someone like that.  I've had a couple of chances to talk to people who have limited delusions and I found it fascinating. 

However what seems far, far, far more plausible is that this is just an attempt to insult people.  "shill" is being in about the same respect that the word "asshole" would be used.

I have no idea what set of social mores are expected on this part of the internet but if we're talking about self-moderation (or a more authoritative kind) then one I think needs to ask what kind of outcome one wants.  If someone wants to have interesting discussions.  Then I suggest that at least two people need to be communicating around some point.  In which case the people who post a lot without advancing the point are probably the people who should curb their posting (or have it curbed).

However if the point is to have traffic on a site from people who would click on ads about "Bedini Advanced Handbook" then clearly one would want the greatest number of wingnuts posssible.

WOW!

Sarke, you nailed it!

Quote from: Sarke "shill" is being in about the same respect that the word "asshole" would be used.

I completely agree with you when you say "A shill is an asshole." Yes sir. You right.

A shill is an asshole.

CANGAS 136

sarkeizen

Quote from: Jimboot on February 17, 2015, 04:51:14 AM
I don't know what you think respect means but you are the one calling people names. Most people consider this disrespectful. Do you not see the irony?
Namecalling is ascribing a derogatory label to a person most of what is happening is not that.  Also if this is meant as an argument against Milehigh's position that we need to stop using "shill".   It's invalid, in fact it's actually one of classical forms of ad hominem. :)
QuoteI have not attacked nor insulted you.
By what appears to be your logic Milehigh could say that saying someone is "namecalling" is namecalling. :)
QuoteYou have labelled me as immature baby
What I read from the above post was:
Quoteimmature baby talk
See that's labeling an action the "talk" was immature, not you as a person.  Someones mannerisms can be immature without the person being immature (to some point).
Quotea frying brain
I'm not sure what that means.  Especially when you attempt to reform the original words into some object phrase.  Were I to guess it's describing a problem with your logic or some actions that lead to that.
Quotegutless
I didn't see where this word was used.  However that might be the closest thing to actual namecalling that said there are definitely cases where that wouldn't be the case.
Quotefake
Again this is describing something you are doing.  "faker" which he used later on is closer to a personal insult.
Quotesmart ass
Same.
Quotedumb and silly.
I assume you're referencing:
QuotePlaying dumb on your part is just silly.
Again "playing dumb" is an idiom that describes something the author thinks you are doing - perhaps making the implied claim that the author is hypersensitive and by being even more so yourself you can excuse the behavior of others - "silly" in this case, in English is descriptive of the topic of the sentence which is "playing dumb".  So again this isn't a personal critique per se.

Just to contrast that with "shill".   Which is someone who's actions or opinions are available for hire is a lot harder to use in a sense that is impersonal.  For example you could say that "criticizing OU is the behavior of a shill" but it's also the behavior of the vast majority of people in the world.  So not a very useful usage.  You could attempt to turn it into an adjective but the words "shill-like" "shillish" are uncommon in usage.  Hence it's not exactly unreasonable to brand the term "shill" as a more personal insult than "stupid" which could be applied to all sorts of acts.

Anyway it's not that "shill" is the ultimate insult or anything but insults applied to ones person - rather than ones actions - are at least imprecise and I can at least understand why someone would want them to stop.  As opposed to yourself who is putting a fair amount of work into a "you're just as bad" ploy.   Anyway I'm not really pushing for a complete halt to insults as anyone here knows I've called profits, Joel, allcandian and SeaMonkey various names....all of which they deserved.

Jimboot

Quote from: sarkeizen on February 17, 2015, 07:51:28 AM
Namecalling is ascribing a derogatory label to a person most of what is happening is not that.  Also if this is meant as an argument against Milehigh's position that we need to stop using "shill".   It's invalid, in fact it's actually one of classical forms of ad hominem. :)By what appears to be your logic Milehigh could say that saying someone is "namecalling" is namecalling. :)What I read from the above post was:See that's labeling an action the "talk" was immature, not you as a person.  Someones mannerisms can be immature without the person being immature (to some point). I'm not sure what that means.  Especially when you attempt to reform the original words into some object phrase.  Were I to guess it's describing a problem with your logic or some actions that lead to that.I didn't see where this word was used.  However that might be the closest thing to actual namecalling that said there are definitely cases where that wouldn't be the case.Again this is describing something you are doing.  "faker" which he used later on is closer to a personal insult.Same.I assume you're referencing: Again "playing dumb" is an idiom that describes something the author thinks you are doing - perhaps making the implied claim that the author is hypersensitive and by being even more so yourself you can excuse the behavior of others - "silly" in this case, in English is descriptive of the topic of the sentence which is "playing dumb".  So again this isn't a personal critique per se.

Just to contrast that with "shill".   Which is someone who's actions or opinions are available for hire is a lot harder to use in a sense that is impersonal.  For example you could say that "criticizing OU is the behavior of a shill" but it's also the behavior of the vast majority of people in the world.  So not a very useful usage.  You could attempt to turn it into an adjective but the words "shill-like" "shillish" are uncommon in usage.  Hence it's not exactly unreasonable to brand the term "shill" as a more personal insult than "stupid" which could be applied to all sorts of acts.

Anyway it's not that "shill" is the ultimate insult or anything but insults applied to ones person - rather than ones actions - are at least imprecise and I can at least understand why someone would want them to stop.  As opposed to yourself who is putting a fair amount of work into a "you're just as bad" ploy.   Anyway I'm not really pushing for a complete halt to insults as anyone here knows I've called profits, Joel, allcandian and SeaMonkey various names....all of which they deserved.

Well people can read it however they want. Name calling, abusive tone, intolerant, and certainly disrespectful is how I would describe his behaviour in this thread. For someone wanting respect, he's going about it all the wrong way.  He wants to call people names when he feels it's "appropriate". This is starting to feel like a conversation with 14 YO.

Pirate88179

Quote from: Jimboot on February 17, 2015, 02:15:06 PM

Well people can read it however they want. Name calling, abusive tone, intolerant, and certainly disrespectful is how I would describe his behaviour in this thread. For someone wanting respect, he's going about it all the wrong way.  He wants to call people names when he feels it's "appropriate". This is starting to feel like a conversation with 14 YO.

Do you not see a difference between calling someone stupid and saying that they are acting stupidly?

Describing someone's behavior is not the same as describing the person him/herself.  I have run into this before on this, and other forums and...evidently, a lot of folks do not act like there is a difference, but there is.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen