Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Test Equipment: Oscillocopes

Started by MarkE, February 14, 2015, 04:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomodoro

As a side note, I've had to go back to using an analog oscilloscope to analyses some noisy pulses. My $350 100mhz digital could not trigger or even see capacitively coupled spark plug coil discharges of my car. The old analog did it with ease. A friend of mine at a TV station told me the same story regarding  a strangely modulated carrier and an expensive digital oscilloscope that was useless, whereas the old analog saved the day.

MarkE

Quote from: pomodoro on March 01, 2015, 08:09:35 AM
As a side note, I've had to go back to using an analog oscilloscope to analyses some noisy pulses. My $350 100mhz digital could not trigger or even see capacitively coupled spark plug coil discharges of my car. The old analog did it with ease. A friend of mine at a TV station told me the same story regarding  a strangely modulated carrier and an expensive digital oscilloscope that was useless, whereas the old analog saved the day.
TK has regularly commented on the limitations of digital oscilloscopes.  Digital scopes do some great things, but they are very limited by the dynamic range of their ADCs and the capture rate of their triggering systems.  Keysight makes a big deal about their custom ASICs that enable much higher capture rates of their oscilloscopes compared to competitors.

Pirate88179

Quote from: MarkE on March 01, 2015, 10:22:57 AM

Keysight makes a big deal about their custom ASICs that enable much higher capture rates of their oscilloscopes compared to competitors.

I am just guessing that this comes at a much higher price?

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

Brian516

Quote from: Pirate88179 on March 01, 2015, 12:06:22 PM
I am just guessing that this comes at a much higher price?

Bill

Oh, nothing too extravagant, only a few thousand dollars minimum....... up into the tens of thousands.

Pirate88179

Quote from: Brian516 on March 01, 2015, 03:54:59 PM
Oh, nothing too extravagant, only a few thousand dollars minimum....... up into the tens of thousands.

Ahh...I thought as much.  Good to know it is available if needed but...I am happy with my 80's Tek scope for the time being.  It will probably take me the rest of my life to outgrow this scope...maybe longer, ha ha.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen