Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Siglent SDG2042x arbitrary function generator

Started by F6FLT, November 10, 2018, 07:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F6FLT

Quote from: ayeaye on November 10, 2018, 09:15:48 AM
For signal generation? An arm microcontroller can do that, but it's a hell of difficult to program it. And arduino, one needs to make a dac for it, 16 resistors?
and your frequency would be very limited. An Arduino cannot output data at frequencies of MHz. I'm not even sure it can be used for full-band audio frequencies. In this case a PC sound card would be a better choice.

ayeaye

Quote from: F6FLT on November 10, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
and your frequency would be very limited. An Arduino cannot output data at frequencies of MHz. I'm not even sure it can be used for full-band audio frequencies. In this case a PC sound card would be a better choice.

No Arduino is 16 MHz, it can sure generate a few MHz. Audio it can even generate PWM, but for higher frequencies for other signal than square one needs to make a DAC. 4 bits using 8 resistors would be quite doable, yet its still quite a work. And one needs then a fake ground for signal to be negative also, as on the figure above. PC sound card is only for audio frequencies.

This is the Tektronix tutorial how to make a simple DAC for a microcontroller, i think i cannot explain it better  https://www.tek.com/blog/tutorial-digital-analog-conversion-r-2r-dac . Plus a small filter perhaps that would at least smooth the step. It would be usable for the purposes, but quite a work. I think one should make the whole thing as a separate circuit board, as making it on the breadboard each time would be too much nuisance.

F6FLT

Quote from: ayeaye on November 10, 2018, 11:04:51 AM
No Arduino is 16 MHz, it can sure generate a few MHz. ...
You are confusing processor clock and output data rate. And for arbitrary signals including sin, you have to multiply the rate by the number of desired points per period.

ayeaye

Quote from: F6FLT on November 10, 2018, 01:11:34 PM
You are confusing processor clock and output data rate. And for arbitrary signals including sin, you have to multiply the rate by the number of desired points per period.

No i'm not confusing anything. My Arduino signal generator can output 8 MHz, see  https://overunity.com/16942/arduino-signal-generator/ . For signals like sine, one has to take a value from a table. Yes when there are say 16 values for 4 bit output, with instructions of reading the table, then maybe a few hundred kHz is possible, i don't know i have not tried. Certainly much more than the sound frequency. But of course it's quite a lot of work, and as the result it's not such a good device.

Turbo

Quote from: F6FLT on November 10, 2018, 09:12:14 AM
What do you mean by "all of that and more"?

Exactly what it  I puts measure calculate adjust  IO not just a waeform