Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Magnetocaloric materials?

Started by TheProgrammer, April 12, 2007, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheProgrammer

Hi, again.

In studying for my EPA Universal CFC certificate, I did a lot of Googling. One of the topics related to refrigeration was a new type of refrigerator that didn't use any CFC (Chlorofluorocarbon), HCFC (Hydrochlorofluorocarbon), HFC (Hydrofluorocarbon) or PFC (Perfluorocarbon) refrigerant. It used magnets and what is known as a magnetocaloric material.

Supposedly, this would be really efficient, since only a very small motor is required to move the magnetocaloric material through the magnetic field.

For those unfamiliar, magnetocaloric materials heat up when placed in a strong magnetic field (>1T). If you then release that heat while the magnetocaloric material is still within the magnetic field, when it exits the magnetic field, the magnetocaloric material will be cooler.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on magnetic refrigeration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_refrigeration

I had an idea... use that magnetocaloric thermal difference to drive a generator. Possibly by using the heat generated to boil a low-boiling-point liquid, to drive a turbine (and the lower temperature of the magnetocaloric material to recondense the liquid)? By utilizing both the waste heat and the lower temperature within one cycle, you increase your efficiency (rather than just throwing the heat away as waste, as you would in a classic-style refrigerator).

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Anyone know of any readily available magnetocaloric materials that would be usable?