Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Any electrical engineers out there??

Started by Super God, February 04, 2008, 05:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super God

Hello,
I need help in finding a device that can comfortably switch a high voltage (upwards to 30kv) and relatively high current (5 amps) at upwards of 120 Hz, for very short periods of time (enough to make a spark much like a distributor does).  I thought about a relay but the contacts would surely wear out quite fast.  Solid state seems pretty hopeless as well, I don't think it could handle the high voltage.  The only thing I can think of would be to generate it as AC and use a diode to clip it off at the top or something.  I really don't know much about what's out there (as far as switching devices go).  Could anyone give me some advice?
>9000

Groundloop

hansvonlieven

Quote from: Super God on February 04, 2008, 05:58:14 PM
Hello,
I need help in finding a device that can comfortably switch a high voltage (upwards to 30kv) and relatively high current (5 amps) at upwards of 120 Hz, for very short periods of time (enough to make a spark much like a distributor does).  I thought about a relay but the contacts would surely wear out quite fast.  Solid state seems pretty hopeless as well, I don't think it could handle the high voltage.  The only thing I can think of would be to generate it as AC and use a diode to clip it off at the top or something.  I really don't know much about what's out there (as far as switching devices go).  Could anyone give me some advice?

I need to know the frequency of interruption and the duty cycle. i.E. how many times per second do you need to switch on and for how long. This is critical. Perhaps mercury can help here.

Hans von Lieven
When all is said and done, more is said than done.     Groucho Marx

AbbaRue

I would suggest you use an argon discharge tube. The 2 plates are placed a certain distance apart as 2 capacitor plates.
Then you charge up the plates until the  argons brakedown voltage is achieved.
You just need to adjust the plate distance to get the frequency you need at the voltage you need.
Do some research on discharge tubes to get an idea of the plate distance and such.

gyulasun

Quote from: Super God on February 04, 2008, 05:58:14 PM
Hello,

Hello Super God,

There are two solid state solution possibilities, one that relatively cheap and one that is expensive.

Here is a link to a relatively cheap circuit:  http://bromine.cchem.berkeley.edu/grppub/frbm2.pdf   this shows 10 power MOSFETs connected in series to increase working voltage up to 8kV with fall time of 230 nanosecond.  This circuit also gives a good example of how to drive the MOSFET switches correctly to separate the low voltage side of the switch from the high voltage side. Of course if you need a switch up to 30kV, the total number of components needed to build the series connections may not be the cheapest choice but perhaps still reasonable.

The other solution can use high voltage MOSFETs directly, no need for series connection because they are directly manufactured for really high voltage switching.  A German manufacturer site is here: http://www.behlke.de/

For instance here is a data sheet for a 33,  50 and 65 kV solid state switch family with a min 200ns on-time for max 17-30 Amper peak currents**    and here is a push-pull device for switching  2x16kV and 2x30kV http://www.behlke.de/pdf/301-03-gsm.pdf .  There are many devices with fixed on-time and variable on-time possibilities too.  Be prepared for the prices though...

rgds,  Gyula

**EDIT: I supplied the missing link http://www.behlke.de/pdf/331-03-lc.pdf