Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Finding the right generator

Started by irethedo, November 17, 2008, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khabe

Quote from: Yucca on November 28, 2008, 07:18:34 PM
For a small wind genny you could use a brushless outrunner motor.

They are small motors for model cars and planes that have moving neo mags and stationary coils. They are VERY efficient motors and make quite efficient gennys.

They come in all sorts of sizes from tiny to large so you should find one to match your turbine. They are also quite cheap on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?&_nkw=brushless+outrunner

They will generate 3 phase AC when cranked. With three bridge rectifiers feeding a cap you get rough DC, can then use efficient regulator for proper DC.

Yes, but even low cogging outerrunner brushless RC motors  (12 tooth/10 or 14 pole and 9/8 ... 9/10 ... 18/16 ... 18/20 ...)  have cogging too much for small windmill - it will not self-start. And those motors are cheap but not very cheap ---. $30 for tiny ones and up to $300 for larges. Tiny ones has tiny bearings and thin shaft as well. At that kV of these motors is at 500 to 3500.  When kV is 1000 then you need 1000 rpm for get one Volt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And this is NO LOAD VOLT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o  :'(  >:(
regards,
khabe

Yucca

Quote from: khabe on November 28, 2008, 07:28:58 PM
Yes, but even low cogging outerrunner brushless RC motors  (12 tooth/10 or 14 pole and 9/8 ... 9/10 ... 18/16 ... 18/20 ...)  have cogging too much for small windmill - it will not self-start. And those motors are cheap but not very cheap ---. $30 for tiny ones and up to $300 for larges. Tiny ones has tiny bearings and thin shaft as well. At that kV of these motors is at 500 to 3500.  When kV is 1000 then you need 1000 rpm for get one Volt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
regards,
khabe

I have a small outrunner from Hong Kong about $15 on ebay and yes I notice it has noticable no load cogging even though it has different number of poles to mags? I think a wind turbine of a couple feet diam would start one running though.

You´re right the kV on the normal model motors is too high for direct to turbine and cogging will amplify through gearing. :(

I suppose a rewind with finer wire for lower kV would help but then that´s a fiddly long winded job.

Yucca.

khabe

My bread-and-butter comes from generators Im developing and building past 10 years, even longer,
Those are very specifics, but el.machines anyway, at that sui generis and ... devilishly good (they are speaking, the customers ;)
As more specific - as higher price :)
regards,
khabe

TinselKoala

I guess I paid about 2 dollars for this little motor that makes a pretty good demonstrator generator.
We're not trying to save the world from the tyranny of oil, here, we're just trying to help a kid do a science fair project, and I have a hunch he's not (yet) attending MIT, so it doesn't have to be too complicated.
Neither does it have to be the most efficient generator, or the fanciest technology.
A mechanically commutated DC motor won't require rectification, and if the right type of motor is chosen it won't exhibit "cogging" or excessive bearing drag, and so will be easy to turn with a wind turbine or water wheel or even a hamster in a cage, without complicated transmissions or gearing.
And a demonstration using this kind of motor will give the presenter ample opportunity to discuss issues of overall efficiency, ease of construction and maintenance, environmental impact, not to mention the physics of electromagnetism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFavcqNWF5I

Thaelin

Very simple setup would be to take the 12 mag 9 coil and make it smaller. Use grade 8 magnets from the hardware shop and smaller wire. Since its a concept show and not a off the grid system, many options. Not to mention he will learn the ins and outs of construction.

And now, Uber thanks to all here that have posted as you have given me the final piece to my long sought puzzle of the coil make up. I have yet to find out the turns or ohm rateing  for a standard system. All I could find was let us sell you a kit or a video of how they made them but no specs. So now I build. I have to have 12v @ 25A output at a fairly low speed and this will do it. Less than 300rpm.

thaelin