Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

OverUnity.com Membership site ?

Started by hartiberlin, November 26, 2008, 12:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neolystic

Dr. Stiffler's idea seems good on the surface, but what is going to stop someone from just picking a random name/address out of a phone book and using it?  If someone wants to disrupt things for whatever reason that's all it takes.  If they got banned all they'd have to do is pick a new name and start over.  I think most everyone will agree that the biggest problem is that a thread starts out with a topic, and within a few pages we've covered half a dozen or more topics unrelated to the original thread.  Throw in a few blowhards who are convinced they know everything (but where are their working devices?), and it becomes a pissing match to see who can run the most people off.

I think the only answer is for the author of the thread, or other designated representative, to pre-screen posts to make sure they are respectful and on-topic.  This of course is not without its own problems, but if threads were set up this way, minimal 'filtering' would actually be required on the part of the thread author, because people wouldn't bother trying to post an off-topic, disruptive, or disrespectful comment in the first place, if they knew it'd never make it through to the thread.

As an adjunct to this, there could be one or more threads where people could post whatever they like without moderators.  This would allow the people who seem bent on making fools of themselves to do so without adding inconsequential drivel to a thread's specific topic.

poynt99

Pre-screening is not a good idea, because the moderator would be tied to his computer all day long just authorizing posts. You won't find anyone that wants to do that for free all day.

People have to be trusted to post properly on their own, and if after they post it needs to be removed, edited, or moved to another thread, then so be it. Warnings can also be given. Eventually after enough removals and or warnings, the individual either posts properly or loses posting privileges.There is only so much that can be done to keep a thread sane when literally thousands of individuals have access to them.

question everything, double check the facts, THEN decide your path...

Simple Cheap Low Power Oscillators V2.0
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=248
Towards Realizing the TPU V1.4: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=217
Capacitor Energy Transfer Experiments V1.0: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=209

khabe

Im ready to pay even much more, + donate,
The only things:
* the liers and cheaters must to be comminated !!!
* my  deleted posts about must to be restored
* lanblan4 who named me ´asshole´ because I dont believe this waterwheel fraud - you give me his full address or you decree yourself to him an penalty in value of $1000

with due respect,
khabe

Neolystic

Ok, that makes sense to me why pre-screening is not a good idea.  Moderation would work better as long as the moderators had the authority to actually move posts to another topic.  What I've seen on many sites is that someone comes in and stirs things up, and before you know it there are 2-3 pages of flame wars etc. before a moderator is able to step in and put a stop to it.  By that time the people who were actually trying to talk about the original topic are so mad that the thread is dead.

Concerning paying for the site, I have no problem with it either way.  I do think that opening up the hidden topics to paid members is a horrible idea.  The people who posted in those threads did so with the implicit understanding that their posts would remain private.  I'm just the new guy here and have no access to any of these hidden topics, and as curious as I am about their content, I believe 'selling their access to the highest bidder' would be a gross breach of ethics.

poynt99

Perhaps the author/moderator could have the option of choosing to pre-screen or post-screen. The problems with post-screening are noted. One other problem with pre-screening is it may actually discourage people from posting simply because they might have to wait a day or more for their post to appear.

There are pros and cons to both approaches I guess.

I agree, there should not be any secret or elite threads (btw, my "elite" status only means I can lock and unlock my own thread, nothing more) on this site, and they shouldn't be one that has to be paid for.

Topic by topic moderation is one thing that could really help, provided the right individuals are offered and accept the responsibility.

In regards to the forum ads, get yourself an ad blocker and call it a day, it's as simple as that isn't it?

question everything, double check the facts, THEN decide your path...

Simple Cheap Low Power Oscillators V2.0
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=248
Towards Realizing the TPU V1.4: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=217
Capacitor Energy Transfer Experiments V1.0: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=209