Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Why do CFL's go bad?

Started by jadaro2600, March 02, 2009, 11:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortex1

some info on CFL's and failure modes.

http://creativelightingllc.info/fluorescent_lamp.htm

One thing that many do not appreciate is that flourescent tubes should be operated with a clean sine wave with as little DC unbalance as practical so as to eliminate migration of gaseous atoms towards one electrode. The blackening will show up rather quickly when used in a circuit with some DC present.

Using flyback pulses will thus shorten the life of the tube. That is why common CFL driver circuits switch to a resonant mode after ignition. The Moyer oscillator is used in many backlighting schemes for long tube life. It has a clean sine wave output.

Many who experiment using flyback pulses to ignite the tube never really measure the Lumen output accurately, but if they were able to drive the tubes to the same intensity as a normal driver circuit, they would notice an accelerated blackening and thus a shorter life of the tube.

turbo

CFL's are designed to go bad because of economic reasons.
If they would last forever they would not be selling them anymore would they?  ::)
They have been designed to stop working at a pre defined point.
The gas does not wear down and it is possible to build a CFL that would last forever, but the ones you buy in a store do not,it's designed that way.

Marco.

the_big_m_in_ok

Quote from: jadaro2600 on December 07, 2009, 05:03:16 PM
All of this is rather disturbing, the initial post was what got me to thinking about them - it literally fried itself on the inside.
A short circuit in any part of the circuit might do that.  However, I've never seen one destroy itself the way you describe.

--Lee
"Truth comes from wisdom and wisdom comes from experience."
--Valdemar Valerian from the Matrix book series

I'm merely a theoretical electronics engineer/technician for now, since I have no extra money for experimentation, but I was a professional electronics/computer technician in the past.
As a result, I have a lot of ideas, but no hard test results to back them up---for now.  That could change if I get a job locally in the Bay Area of California.

the_big_m_in_ok

Quote from: -[marco]- on December 07, 2009, 07:52:41 PM
CFL's are designed to go bad because of economic reasons. ...
Very good.  Money has to be made at the cost of commercial efficiency.

--Lee
"Truth comes from wisdom and wisdom comes from experience."
--Valdemar Valerian from the Matrix book series

I'm merely a theoretical electronics engineer/technician for now, since I have no extra money for experimentation, but I was a professional electronics/computer technician in the past.
As a result, I have a lot of ideas, but no hard test results to back them up---for now.  That could change if I get a job locally in the Bay Area of California.

Vortex1

QuoteCFL's are designed to go bad because of economic reasons.
If they would last forever they would not be selling them anymore would they?  ::)
They have been designed to stop working at a pre defined point.
The gas does not wear down and it is possible to build a CFL that would last forever, but the ones you buy in a store do not,it's designed that way.

Marco.

Forever is a long time.... Engineers do not speak in terms of forever, but recognizing that all things have a finite life, try to design items that are both affordable and have a reasonable life expectancy. MTBF....is used to evaluate and optimize designs so that these realistic goals are met.

I urge anyone who can outhink/outdo/outperform the engineers who have skilfully developed the current reasonably designed and affordable CFL's to do so....the world will beat a path to your door.