Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Brand New Technology Makes Producing Biodiesel Easier Without Waste

Started by chessnyt, June 30, 2009, 01:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chessnyt

Tinker

Quote from: chessnyt on June 30, 2009, 01:44:34 AM
http://www.livescience.com/environment/090605-bts-algae-biodiesel.html

I've finished all my other projects that didn't pan out and now I'm going for biodiesel full on.

Alge is a real deal

But few have realized the potental.

I started following it 3 years ago, you are headed in the right direction.

As time goes by more solutions have been created

That has not been disclosed, is the use of sonics to to seperate the lipids from the H2O without destroying the alge cell is massive no more labor intensive harvesting.

There are many other issues but I feel that they can be resolved, If they are allowed to be.

But that's what I think

Be Well
Tinker

chessnyt

@Tinker,

I had been aware of biodiesel for many years prior to the new advances only achieved recently such as the reusable solid catalyst used to convert the oil into biodiesel.  Only now is it possible to process the oil extracted from algae without the need to remove byproducts from the converted oil that were usually generated during the conversion process.  This averts the generation of undesirable waste byproducts and allows for a continuous production of biodiesel without stopping to separate mixed in catalyst, as is the case when liquid catalysts are used.

What I was not aware of was the method of extracting the oil from algae using sonic waves.  Thank you for the heads up in this area of biodiesel technology.  Is there a website or a company that uses this technology currently that you might be able to refer me to?

Although my prior projects, even if they had succeeded, appeared to be very promising solutions to current energy challenges, the current infrastructure simply could not have supported them.  Most of the shipping of goods here in the U.S. is diesel driven (like semi trucks and trains for example). 

I believe our current economic situation has resulted from the gouging we have been receiving from the oil industry in the form of ridiculously high fuel prices.  When a business is gouged causing an increase in overhead which narrows their profit margins, they must pass this additional cost of doing business down to the consumer to compensate.  This means that artificially high fuel prices directly lead to the inflation of goods ands services that most of us use on a daily basis.

Algae oil Biodiesel is a potential replacement to petroleum based fuels altogether and allows other companies outside of “Big Oil” to offer true competition for the growing energy needs of consumers.

In the past, biodiesel was made from soybeans, corn and palm oil.  The use of soybeans and corn for biodiesel production created a higher demand for food crops thus driving up food prices.  Algae oil based biodiesel is not a competitive food source thus it does not adversely affect the demand of food crops. 

There is also the oil yield per year pre acre factor.  For example, an acre of corn can yield 30 gallons of oil per year.  An acre of soybeans can yield 50 gallons of oil per year.  On that same acre of land, algae can yield 10,000 gallons of oil per year!  And that’s just in an open pond system.  Cultured in bio-reactors, the oil yields increase dramatically.  Some experts are claiming to be able to achieve oil yields of up to 100,000 gallons of oil per acre in modern bio-reactor systems as stated at the following link:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/04/01/algae.oil/index.html

Here are some other significant advantages to using algae based biodiesel as a fuel:

•   It is the fastest growing plant known to man.

•   Algae are able to double in size once every 4 hours!

•   The burning of biodiesel in diesel combustion engines emits fewer amounts of pollutants into the atmosphere than petroleum based diesel.

•   Regular diesel fuel engines can last up to around 1 million miles in between rebuilds.  Biodiesel lubricates a diesel engine better than petroleum based diesel leading to even longer engine life.

•   Burning biodiesel enhances horsepower output over burning petroleum based diesel.

•   Algae are able to absorb global warming gases as it grows and is responsible for more than 50% of the earth’s oxygen production.

•   When petroleum based diesel is spilled, it is considered a hazardous waste spill and must be treated accordingly.  Biodiesel is 100% biodegradable and washing it down with a hose is all that is needed.

•   The only byproduct from the modern production of biodiesel is 100% biodegradable.  It can be used as a high grade fertilizer for farming or it can be fermented and used to produce ethanol.

•   The growing of algae cultures can be done without water losses due to evaporation when cultured in modern bio-reactor systems.

•   No pesticides are needed to cultivate algae making it more economical to grow and safer for the water table and storm drain systems.

•   Algae can grow with or without sunlight and algae farms can even be setup in desert regions where other crops would not be able to survive.

•   Biodiesel will run in any diesel engine without modification.  Since most freight is shipped with diesel driven equipment, the infrastructure already exists and is in place for an eventual switch over when biodiesel production reaches greater volume levels.

I have a lot of work ahead but at least this is technology that is proven to work.  The only drawbacks that I see right away is the use of biodiesel in colder regions where it has the tendency to gel in the fuel lines.  To prevent this, they currently mix petroleum based diesel with biodiesel.  I am going to be experimenting with insulated fuel lines and fuel system pre-heaters to warm the fuel before starting when the outside temperature drops anywhere below 40F degrees.

Trying something new again,

Chess Knight     

Tinker

This sonics business was an article early last year, but that was two hard drives ago for me. I doubt I will find it here.

The process as I recall went something like this.

Vary the PH in the bio-reactor, the feed stock (algae cells) membranes will thin out and the sound waves will cause them to perforate and release the oil from the cells.

This is done in a low velocity vessel fed from the bio-reactor the oil rises to the top and scavenged  and the water and burst cells are returned to the bio-reactor and  start over.

The cells are not destroyed but reused thus there is no bulk waste, need for extraction, drying, or disposal of waste.

This is what I remember but I have not seen any working systems I can point you too.

But this is huge! it gives a new meaning to "Green Fuels" (I am not a Greenie) but this all makes sense to me if they can get their ducks lined up linearly.

Transfiguration looks good too and there is a working plant in the midwest, but that is another story.

Chestnut

In your post you referenced "temperature problems" the airlines have conducted tests from algae fuels and have been successful .

That said they use conventional fuel heating solutions  related to common to altitude temperature related problems.

The same does not apply to the Terra based transportation experience (IE) things don't  fall from the sky, but using common Terra related solutions that have been around for some time now have been useful.

That said the implimitation of this concept "IS" complicated beyond face value as there are many disciplines required to get it right.

Biology
astrophysics
materials
chemistry
construction

to name a few.

That Said it has and will take it some time to get it right. As simple as all this might sound, This will not be a backyard project.

But I think it can be done!

But that is what I Think

Be Well
Tinker

chessnyt

@Tinker,

You are correct about biodiesel not being a backyard project.  I have enlisted the assistance of two other individuals; one of which holds a strong engineering background and the other is a retired diesel mechanic.

The plan so far is to engineer a very small scale biodiesel cultivating and processing plant (all-in-one) and power the plant exclusively using biodiesel energy.

The idea is to build a plant that is completely self-sufficient and even generates its own electricity via a diesel electric generator.  The whole plant will be automated (that’s where my background comes in) and virtually run itself using PLC automation.  The only substances we plan to purchase from outside vendors are water, solid catalyst, maintenance items, etc.

The electric generator will be driven by a two stroke diesel engine and its fuel will eventually be supplied by the fuel production of the biodiesel plant.  All excess fuel will be stored in a large holding tank to be sold to the public and used in my personal vehicles.

Whatever can be achieved on a small scale can be replicated on a large scale.  We don’t want to do a large scale proof of concept as this would be too risky as it would entail large amounts of capital and land.  If we are successful on a small scale, then we will simply either scale up the plant to a much larger industrial sized one or make our plant modular adding small modules onto the existing one without interrupting our completed module’s fuel production. 

Seeing how greed is leading to the total demise and collapse of the current oil industry, we would like to offer licensing agreements in which we would share our designs with others who could reproduce our systems without spending all the research and design costs saving massive capital and time.

All three of us are shooting for the moon and if we miss, we are sure to land on a star.

Regards,

Chess Knight