Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Help with Low Carbon Iron

Started by rukiddingme, August 06, 2010, 08:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rukiddingme

Hi all,

I have spent the last few days trying to find a bar of low carbon iron. Sigh, I have been unable to find it.

Wikipedia says that original wrought iron had less than .01% carbon content, but everything I see has about 3%.

Has anyone come across a metal supplier that stocks low carbon iron of the .01% type in the USA?

I need at least a 18" bar with about a 1/2" diameter.

Don't give up!

Thanks in Advance.

cletushowell

well I dont know what your trying to build but It sounds like the black frequency of carbon is messing you up
so you can neutralize the carbon by adding oxygen or you can understand the color of black is created by
equalizing the frequency so remove part of the frequency that is the carbon and then you still have carbon but not the frequency so its probly not going to effect your product maybee this helps. probly to complicated

tak22

rukiddingme

@ CompuTutor

Dura-Bar was one of the first places I looked. I'm not sure where you found .25% carbon for this. Here's the spec sheet for it:

http://www.dura-bar.com/products/65-45-12b.cfm

As you see, it lists 3.5-3.9% for carbon.

The page you linked to says:

"The mechanical properties of 65-45-12 will be similar to low carbon steels that contain up to 0.25% carbon including 1010, 1018, 11L17, 12L14 and 1020."

I think "mechanical properties" and "similar" are not really the carbon content of the material.

Here's the quote from wikipedia:

"Wrought iron is an iron alloy with a very low carbon content, in comparison to steel, and has fibrous inclusions, known as slag. This is what gives it a "grain" resembling wood, which is visible when it is etched or bent to the point of failure. Wrought iron is tough, malleable, ductile and easily welded. Historically, it was known as "commercially pure iron",[1][2]  however it no longer qualifies because current standards for commercially pure iron require a carbon content of less than 0.008 wt%.[3][4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron

I'm sure you see my confusion about finding real iron.

The other URL you posted seems to say there isn't much difference between low carbon steel and iron, but it is also true that iron would be better.

Thanks