Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

DIY ACID FREE CARBON BATTERIES

Started by Bizzy, February 23, 2011, 11:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b_rads

This weekend’s fun little project.  8)  A voltaic pile battery using magnesium, copper foil, felt, and plain tap water with Alum.  Open circuit shows slightly over 4volts.  Enough under load to power a 5mm red led directly.   :)
Brad S

guruji

Quote from: b_rads on March 11, 2011, 04:53:19 PM
@guruji
Alum: food grade found in the spice section of your grocery store.  This is used in pickling recipes as a preservative to maintain fruit and vegetable crispness.  People have been using alum in the restoration of lead acid batteries as it breaks down the lead sulfate that destroys lead acid batteries.  Many think alum has mysterious properties that preserve the anode in a battery and claim that early lead acid batteries used alum, but was discontinued because the batteries would not wear out.

Brad S

Thanks for the info b_rads it seems that this chemical preserve batteries but not health for sure :). In food all chemicals are introduced these days.

b_rads

Status Update:
   The 4 penny cells connected in series and built on Feb 20th are still lighting 9 led’s non-stop for a month (> 675 hours).  The intensity is not as good, but still puts a nice ring on the ceiling over 5 feet away in the dark.  I will make a DIY for these, I have simplified the construction and should have this available next week.
   The 6 conduit cells quit lighting 9 led’s after 3 weeks.  These were not constructed using copper foil and had Epsom Salt in the electrolyte.  Either the poor construction or Epsom Salt shortened the life of these cells.  I will be building another test group soon.
   The 2 solar magnesium copper cells, first one built on Feb 13th and the second one a week later are still running.  The second one using copper foil, carbon, and magnesium fire starter seems to be the better of the two.  If I let the water completely evaporate and refill, it starts up like a new cell.
   The small voltaic cell made a week ago is still lighting it’s led.

Brad S

b_rads

This weekend’s project:
   I have been wanting to build a poor mans version of lasersaber’s air battery for some time now.  The two cells constructed are slightly different.   The one on the left is made with 6” x ½” copper pipe, felt, and magnesium ribbon.  In the cell on the right I filled the copper pipe with powdered carbon packed tightly and slightly moistened.  Start up voltage and current were nearly identical on both.  While I do not expect this to change, I will follow both cells to see if any anomalies develop. 

Brad S

Pirate88179

Brad:

Wow, you have been doing some great work over here.  Very impressive stuff.  I will have go back and get caught up but just from what I have read on the last page it appears things are going well.  Excellent progress.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen