Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

How to calculate Pi to 1,000,000 places in your head .

Started by neptune, April 14, 2011, 01:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neptune

I used to be impressed when mathematical geniuses mentally calculated the value of Pi to a large number of decimal places in their heads .Then I spotted the trick .Pi= 22 divided by 7 = 3.142857 . If you continue to divide , the numbers after the decimal point just keep repeating . So Pi= 3.142857142857142857142857142857 and so on ad infinitum . Easy isnt it ?

rensseak

Quote from: neptune on April 14, 2011, 01:36:54 PM
I used to be impressed when mathematical geniuses mentally calculated the value of Pi to a large number of decimal places in their heads .Then I spotted the trick .Pi= 22 divided by 7 = 3.142857 . If you continue to divide , the numbers after the decimal point just keep repeating . So Pi= 3.142857142857142857142857142857 and so on ad infinitum . Easy isnt it ?

pi=3,14159265358979323846.......

you know, there is no repeating in pi

neptune

Hi Rensseak .I was always taught that Pi is 22 divided by 7 . If this is true , I stand by my answer which was calculated by long division not using a calculator . I would be very interested in your answer .Are you saying that Pi is not 22 divided by 7 ? Update . I just Googled Pi . You are correct . Pi is not exactly equal to 22/7 .You wait until I see my old maths teacher....

e2matrix

Yep 22/7 is just an easy way to remember the rough value of pi.  One of the unique things about pi has always been that even calculated out to a huge number of places it does not repeat.  Go get'em (silly math teacher)   ;)

the_big_m_in_ok

Quote from: e2matrix on April 14, 2011, 05:52:00 PM
Yep 22/7 is just an easy way to remember the rough value of pi.  One of the unique things about pi has always been that even calculated out to a huge number of places it does not repeat.  Go get'em (silly math teacher)   ;)
A math teacher in my high school told my class there was a mathematician who tried to divide pi as far as possible, but later computer programmers proved he mad a mistake about halfway through his career, and he wasted his time from then on.

Pi facts:
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110211022402AAmuNX4

@neptune
Actual, arithmetic pi isn't cyclic; it's absolutely random.

--Lee
"Truth comes from wisdom and wisdom comes from experience."
--Valdemar Valerian from the Matrix book series

I'm merely a theoretical electronics engineer/technician for now, since I have no extra money for experimentation, but I was a professional electronics/computer technician in the past.
As a result, I have a lot of ideas, but no hard test results to back them up---for now.  That could change if I get a job locally in the Bay Area of California.