Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Hydraulic heat engine

Started by Low-Q, August 03, 2011, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low-Q

Quote from: fritznien on August 04, 2011, 09:08:10 PM
any way you cut it is going to have poor conversion.
solar pannels for sunlight and an old steam engine for plain heat will
do far far better.
fritznien
I think so too. I have been told that steam engines is one of the most efficient technologies for converting heat energy into mechanical work, and is far more efficient than gasoline and diesel engines, and even higher efficiency than electric motors - when taking the whole chain of energy conversion and transportation from the power plant, till the power outlet which charges the electric car into account.

What if all cars had a butane burner which ran a steam engine - converting 70% of the heat into mechanical work, instead of loosing 70% energy as heat from a gasoline engine? Or what if the heat loss from a gasoline engine could be recycled into mechanical work like they did with the Corsair fighter and old fishing boats. They injected water mist directly into the combustion chambre to increase the efficiency by 30% - they combined the efficiency of the steam engine, and the flexibility from a gasoline engine.

I remember the fishing boats left the harbor. You could hear the engine say "thud. thud, thud, thud, thud", but when the boats reached open sea, and the engine was hot, I heard the water injection which changed the sound; "thud, thud, thud, thud, thcknock, thcknock, thcknock, thcknock". Then the fishermen could stay at the sea for longer because the engine became more efficient.

The Corsair figheter used water injection to escape the enemy if the plane did not have enough power to fly faster.

This is off topic, but very interesting :)

Vidar

fritznien

Quote from: Low-Q on August 05, 2011, 03:38:13 AM
I think so too. I have been told that steam engines is one of the most efficient technologies for converting heat energy into mechanical work, and is far more efficient than gasoline and diesel engines, and even higher efficiency than electric motors - when taking the whole chain of energy conversion and transportation from the power plant, till the power outlet which charges the electric car into account.

What if all cars had a butane burner which ran a steam engine - converting 70% of the heat into mechanical work, instead of loosing 70% energy as heat from a gasoline engine? Or what if the heat loss from a gasoline engine could be recycled into mechanical work like they did with the Corsair fighter and old fishing boats. They injected water mist directly into the combustion chambre to increase the efficiency by 30% - they combined the efficiency of the steam engine, and the flexibility from a gasoline engine.

I remember the fishing boats left the harbor. You could hear the engine say "thud. thud, thud, thud, thud", but when the boats reached open sea, and the engine was hot, I heard the water injection which changed the sound; "thud, thud, thud, thud, thcknock, thcknock, thcknock, thcknock". Then the fishermen could stay at the sea for longer because the engine became more efficient.

The Corsair figheter used water injection to escape the enemy if the plane did not have enough power to fly faster.

This is off topic, but very interesting :)

Vidar
who tells you these things?
steam locomotives ran about 10% effiecient when we changed to diesels
coal fired power plants around 30%
marine diesels 50%
combined cycle gas turbies over 60%
water injection is used on gas engines as an intercooler, the effect is a cooler denser charge
that alows higher compression and more output from a given size engine and octane rating.
the only reason to use steam in a car is that it alows a wide range of fuels and fuel qualities.
remember carrnott rules.
fritznien

Low-Q

Quote from: fritznien on August 05, 2011, 01:31:20 PM
who tells you these things?
steam locomotives ran about 10% effiecient when we changed to diesels
coal fired power plants around 30%
marine diesels 50%
combined cycle gas turbies over 60%
water injection is used on gas engines as an intercooler, the effect is a cooler denser charge
that alows higher compression and more output from a given size engine and octane rating.
the only reason to use steam in a car is that it alows a wide range of fuels and fuel qualities.
remember carrnott rules.
fritznien
Probably someone who did not tellme the full story. I did reat about steam powered engines, and the steam turbine is the most efficient. I can read there is about 70% efficiency in a steam turbine. Therefor it is widely used in powerplants to create electricity.

Vidar

fritznien

acording to wiki its 75%
but that iis steam to mechanical power.
when you consider the whole plant coal to eletricity its down in the low 30,s.
fritznien

Low-Q

Quote from: fritznien on August 05, 2011, 05:32:39 PM
acording to wiki its 75%
but that iis steam to mechanical power.
when you consider the whole plant coal to eletricity its down in the low 30,s.
fritznien
When everything taken into account, no machine is very efficient.
You seem to know this stuff quite well, so I have a question for you:
A regular gasoline engine gets quite hot when it's not water-cooled. The temperature will rise to way more than 100 degrees celcius. Do you think this heat qould be used to make high pressure steam to run either a turbine- or a rotary (Wankel, G-rotor style) steam engine? Could this increase the engines efficiency?

I have in mind that if the temperature is too high in the engine, the gasoline/air mixdure will detonate rather than burn, so ignition and injection timing and temperature control would be quite neccessary.

What do you think?

Vidar