Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

separating oxygen and hydrogen from water

Started by pinobot, August 09, 2006, 05:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinobot

Bit of an off-spin from the osmosis idea.
Would it be possible to separate water into oxygen and hydrogen by pressing it to a filter and how much pressure would be needed? Can't find anything on the net but maybe someone here knows? ???
To clarify the idea: a hydrogen atom is about 1/4 the diameter of an oxygen atom, so if you'd push the water hard into a filter that's just big enough to let the hydrogen atom through you'd separate water into oxygen and hydrogen (i think). :)

To boldly stay home.

Flit

If you had loose oxygen and hydrogen atoms this may work.  Remember that water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen atoms that are bonded together so you would need to break that bond first before you could filter out the hydrogen.

Have you ever read Kym Stanley Robinson's Red Mars series?  He proposed a similar type of filter used to aid breathing based on the concept that oxygen is smaller than carbon dioxide so you could filter it out to allow the breathing of a hostile environment.

pinobot

I haven't read this perticular paper but it's seems to be a common way to separate gasses.
What i want is to brake the bond by fysical force pressing it through a filter, how much pressure would be needed (100 bar, 1k bar, 1m bar)?
To boldly stay home.

Flit

Here is some information on bond energies in water.

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/vrchemistry/energy/Page_27.htm

I think that electrolysis would probably be more efficient and a lot cheaper than pressure seperation.  Working with high pressures is also very dangerous much like working with explosives.

Electrolysis, in its most basic form, requires nothing more than some wire a power source and some water.

Pressure seperation would require a vessel capable of containing high pressure, some sort of pump to produce the pressure and you would need a filter so small it is capable of letting through a hydrogen atom but denying an oxygen atom.  A filter of this type would, I imagine, be incredibly expensive.

It's an interesting concept though and it never hurts to think about new things.

raburgeson

What happens when the Oxygen clogs the filter?