Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Gravity Powered Generator With Gyroscope 'Sails'

Started by tim123, December 12, 2013, 11:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabbie

Hi guys,

I tried a version of this idea after watching this physics lecture by Walter Lewin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPUuF_dECVI). Near the end he demonstrates a gyro suspended in 3-axled gimbled arrangement as you might find in an old style aviation gyro. By placing a weight on the end of the gyro's axis, he demonstrated the resulting precession of the outer frame. As he puts it, "The spin angular momentum is chasing the torque." So it seemed to me the precession torque could be tapped from a drive shaft connected to the lower bar of that outer frame.

There is indeed a precessional torque to be gained by placing the weight on that axis when the gyro is spinning. However, apart from the argument that the axis is actually "dipping" slightly and if prevented from doing so the precession stops; there is a more serious problem which prevents power from being tapped from this process. That can be seen the moment you physically resist the movement of that outer frame, which is exactly what hooking it up to a generator under load would do ... The gyro immediately responds by flipping downward. That is, it reacts as if more weight has suddenly been added to the end of the axis. There is an equal but opposite reaction occurring, and again it almost needs to be seen to be believed since despite it making perfect sense to "nature", it appears non-intuitive. Unfortunately, it rendered my hope of a gravitational gyro drive mechanism unworkable.

Had Professor Lewin gone one step further in his demonstration to show this effect it would have save me the trouble, and it would have added one more sense of wonder for his students.