Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Gravity Powered Generator With Gyroscope 'Sails'

Started by tim123, December 12, 2013, 11:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim123

Hi Folks,
  below is a sketch of a generator idea...

Basic Idea:

- Wind turbines work because they can convert the motion of the wind into a rotary motion: Wind hitting the blade pushes the blade sideways (for example).

- Conventional thought says (and it's probably right) that gravity can't be 'harvested' directly because it acts equally on all things,

- BUT, A gyroscope can convert the downwards force of gravity into a sideways force - via precession.

- So can we use a gyro to act like a 'gravity sail'?

Principle Of Operation:

The diagram below shows a top-down view of the generator, and a side-on view.

- The gyros spin at the end of arms that are free to move up and down only.
- They're hinged at the base.
- The base is connected to the generator (probably via a gearbox) - and so is free to rotate.

- When the gyros are spinning, gravity pulls them down.
- They translate that force, via precession, into a sideways rotation.
- The base turns due to the precession - and electricity is generated.

Will it Work?

I've played with a toy gyro - and the force of precession seems very strong... I suppose theory says 100% of the force is translated... I can't see any theoretical reason why this shouldn't work, but I'm here to learn...

Obviously there are practical considerations - like keeping the gyros spinning, and at roughly the right angle...

Your thoughts please...

:)
Tim

conradelektro

I think that it will not work, for the reasons given in this post http://www.overunity.com/14090/m-drive-reactionless-drive-invented-by-me/msg379322/#msg379322 (see my drawing, misconception about gyroscopes)

A gyroscope does not cling to space it just wants to keep its orientation. So, for action and reaction a gyroscope is like any mass, unless you want to "rotate around a gyroscope". Almost all spacecraft (satellites in orbit or sent to other planets) rotate themselves around three gyroscopes. But while rotating the centre of mass does not do any lateral movement.

Greetings, Conrad

truesearch

@tim123:

I certainly like your "thinking-outside-the-box" idea  :)

But isn't a gyro really just a "flywheel"? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope ). Under the Wiki flywheel article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage ) section "Energy Storage Efficiency" it sounds like ultimately the mechanical friction will reduce the usable energy. Maybe. . . .

Best of luck!

truesearch

tim123

Hi Conrad :)
  thanks, but I'm sorry, I don't really understand... I'm probably being a bit slow, but I don't get the connection between the diagram in your post & this idea.

I do get what you mean by 'A gyroscope does not cling to space it just wants to keep its orientation.' - but the question is about what happens when it's orientation *is* changed (or at least a force is applied), and it's restricted in it's range of movement...

If you set a spinning gyro at a 45 degree angle on the table - it does precess - and Mr Hand says it has quite a lot of force... It looks like it's translating the force of gravity into precession. Is it not?

The questions in my mind are
- how much force is there? (Is it 100% of gravity?)
- is it directly due to gravity? Do gyros precess in zeroG?
- and can it be harnessed in the manner suggested?

Regards
Tim

tim123

Quote from: truesearch on December 12, 2013, 12:10:34 PM
I certainly like your "thinking-outside-the-box" idea  :)

But isn't a gyro really just a "flywheel"? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope ). Under the Wiki flywheel article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage ) section "Energy Storage Efficiency" it sounds like ultimately the mechanical friction will reduce the usable energy. Maybe. . . .

Hi Truesearch, Thanks :)
There are practical concerns about keeping the gyros spinning etc. But they're not flywheels in the sense that the power stored in them is used up for the operation, as far as I know... So they could be on fine bearings, and even housed in a partial vacuum. etc.

Regards
Tim