Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Big advance in Super Caps (12x)

Started by markdansie, August 02, 2013, 10:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markdansie

lancaIV

MileHigh

Better super capacitors sounds very promising.  I am just not sure in the sense that there is an endless stream of press releases about solar cell, battery, and capacitor breakthroughs.  Will this be the 'breakthrough' breakthrough?

You can imagine electric vehicles that have a robotic umbilical probe underneath the the chassis for finding juice.  When you get to a red light the the probe inserts itself into a power outlet embedded the street intersection and it sucks up power.  It could make driving an electric vehicle in the city very friendly, you would never have to "fill it up."  Alternatively for a charging station, you just drive up to it and the umbilical probe taps into the power outlet embedded into the ground and 25 seconds later you are back on the road.  The transaction is either fully automated through your smartphone or you pay on the spot through your smartphone.

With respect to the link for the "ultrabattery," I don't believe it.  That looks like a 'breakthrough' that never makes it to fruition.  There is no real rational reason to mate a lead-acid battery to a super capacitor.

Magluvin

Quote from: MileHigh on August 03, 2013, 06:49:14 PM

With respect to the link for the "ultrabattery," I don't believe it.  That looks like a 'breakthrough' that never makes it to fruition.  There is no real rational reason to mate a lead-acid battery to a super capacitor.

Sure there is. If you combine a battery with a super cap, you end up with a battery source that has more energy per weight(even size) ratio, while each greatly relieves the other of stress of heavy loads, but with the advantages of both.  Lasersaber has a couple vids using just super caps as a car battery. Pretty small compared to the original battery.  Some DIY guys are adding supercaps to their electric cars.  ;)

Mags

MileHigh

The article that Mark linked to says that today's super caps have approximately one-twelfth the energy density by volume compared to lead-acid batteries.  So your statement about more energy per unit volume is wrong.  Taking away lead-acid battery volume and replacing it with super cap volume gives you less total stored energy.

The tech is 10 years old now.  There are misleading statements that don't make sense in the main article that's linked to.  After 10 years there is no battery performance data, and they don't even state anything about how they integrate the lead-acid battery with the super cap inside the case of their finished battery.  The only recent news is about using the battery in a hybrid vehicle and making a claim for the mileage they have gotten "out of the battery."  That barely makes any sense and I would think a hybrid vehicle runs mostly on gas anyways.  They compare their battery technology with NiMH battery technology but NiMH is yesterday's news.  The battery tech to beat is LI.  A Google search clearly shows there is no meat on the bone for this one.  The whole thing smells like a dead end that will never see the light of day as a commercial product.