Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Tesla primary coil rectification

Started by Jeg, November 21, 2013, 05:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeg

Hi to all :)

After the spark gap in a tesla coil arrangement, i take some bursts at the BPS frequency. Those bursts consists of the oscillation frequency between discharge cap and primary coil which is around 300KHz. In a try to "play" with this signal, i am thinking of rectifying it. The voltage is around 4KV but current is unknown.

My question refers to which kind of diodes may i use so to rectify it without problems. I look for something cheap and capable of handling all these peak currents.

Tnks
Jeg

gyulasun

Quote from: Jeg on November 21, 2013, 05:45:43 AM
Hi to all :)

After the spark gap in a tesla coil arrangement, i take some bursts at the BPS frequency. Those bursts consists of the oscillation frequency between discharge cap and primary coil which is around 300KHz. In a try to "play" with this signal, i am thinking of rectifying it. The voltage is around 4KV but current is unknown.

My question refers to which kind of diodes may i use so to rectify it without problems. I look for something cheap and capable of handling all these peak currents.

Tnks
Jeg

Hi Jeg,

You should know the possible peak or normal currents levels involved (considering worst case) and choose diodes accordingly. Price strongly depends on HV reverse breakdown and forward current spec, together with fast speed, see this for instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2CLG-10KV-1A-High-Voltage-Diode-HV-Rectifier-Tesla-Ham-/271096259991 

Some more choices for 10kV diodes (unfortunately up to max 1 A current): http://www.ebay.com/bhp/10kv-diode 

Of course you can search for 5 or 6 kV diodes too.

Jeg

Hey Gyula :)
I am looking for high current ones and i'll fix the desired voltage by making strings. I just don;t know if frequencies around 300-500KHz need special diodes. Will silicon ones make a decent rectification without speed problems? Or i have to look for germanium or others special types!

gyulasun

Quote from: Jeg on November 21, 2013, 08:56:50 AM
I just don;t know if frequencies around 300-500KHz need special diodes. Will silicon ones make a decent rectification without speed problems?

Yes, look for fast and / or super fast diodes, these have less than 80-100 nanosecond reverse recovery time so would not heat just due to the higher frequency involved like an 1N4007 50-60 Hz type. here are some:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RHRG75120-High-Current-High-Voltage-Fast-Soft-Recovery-Diode-75A-1200V-Qty-2-/171177259669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27daf5b295

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RHRG30120-Ultra-Fast-Soft-Recovery-Power-Rectifier-1200V-30A-65ns-Qty-2-/181262817795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a341b1a03

TinselKoala

Sounds like a good way to let the magic smoke out of some expensive diodes!

Why in the world would you want to kill that nice 300kHz tank oscillation by rectifying it? The place to rectify a primary Tesla coil circuit is _before_ the sparkgap and tank circuit. Once you have a nice ringing in the tank, you will be wasting half the energy with a half-wave (single) rectifier, and you will kill the oscillation completely with a fullwave bridge.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try it (if you can afford the diode stack you will need to withstand your primary voltage peaks) but I am curious as to the motivation and the expected result.