Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Carbide lamp

Started by franco malgarini, September 28, 2014, 04:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate88179

I use to have one of these lamps I used when I went caving 30 years ago.  I wish I still had it as it gave off a large amount of light for a long time on very little calcium carbide and a bit of water.  They are very hard to find today except for cheap ones from overseas that have very bad reviews.  Mine was actually made from plastic and not copper.

Bill

PS  I found some used lamps online like I had.  $60.00 seems a bit steep but, maybe I will get one.
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

MarkE

Those are acetylene lights.  Calcium carbide reacts with water, emitting acetylene.  The story I read many decades ago was this was discovered accidentally when a night watchman flicked his cigarette too close to a pile of calcium carbide that was exposed to the rain.

Pirate88179

Quote from: MarkE on September 29, 2014, 07:15:14 PM
Those are acetylene lights.  Calcium carbide reacts with water, emitting acetylene.  The story I read many decades ago was this was discovered accidentally when a night watchman flicked his cigarette too close to a pile of calcium carbide that was exposed to the rain.

Exactly what I learned about them way back when.  Acetylene gas.  In college, we used to put some calcium carbide into a coke bottle and add some water and then inflated a balloon with the gas.  We rigged up a fuse and lowered the balloon out the window on a string down to the next floor in our dorm.  We did this at night and when the balloon exploded, it created this huge, very bright flash, and a small mushroom cloud.  It scared the crap out of the fellows living below us.

Bill 
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

MarkE

Quote from: Pirate88179 on September 29, 2014, 08:17:55 PM
Exactly what I learned about them way back when.  Acetylene gas.  In college, we used to put some calcium carbide into a coke bottle and add some water and then inflated a balloon with the gas.  We rigged up a fuse and lowered the balloon out the window on a string down to the next floor in our dorm.  We did this at night and when the balloon exploded, it created this huge, very bright flash, and a small mushroom cloud.  It scared the crap out of the fellows living below us.

Bill
Calcium carbide is the powder used in Bangsite cannons as well.  They were popular when I was a kid.  I have not seen them in many years.