Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Multifunction 3D printer

Started by franco malgarini, February 14, 2015, 05:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

memoryman

TK, Sherline makes small machines with low accuracy and repeatability.
What I have in mind has more rigidity, absolute scales (I have invented a scale that is low cost bus still has <.001' resolution). Maybe a 10" cube work envelope?

TinselKoala

Quote from: memoryman on February 16, 2015, 10:08:50 AM
TK, Sherline makes small machines with low accuracy and repeatability.
What I have in mind has more rigidity, absolute scales (I have invented a scale that is low cost bus still has <.001' resolution). Maybe a 10" cube work envelope?
Being the proud owner of a complete Sherline miniature machine shop (manual, not CNC) and just about every accessory in their catalog, I beg to differ with you. I can work to tolerances of 0.0001 inch with the Sherline equipment. Of course it needs proper setup and use...  and also it is in storage in another location so I can't demonstrate anything to you except perhaps this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewRqiKwoXo

Now, I am certain that you could make something that would be "better" and more rigid in a small work cube from scratch, but I also think that a print head for a CNC Sherline mill would work nearly as well for most purposes. Certainly it would be able to achieve 0.001 inch tolerance.

Pirate88179

TK:

That is a nice lathe.  I always hated 4 jaw chucks...very accurate but, it always took me a while to get it zeroed in.  I looked up those machined tools and they are reasonably priced in my opinion.  The cnc options do not cost all that much more it seems.  I checked out their milling machine.  Those bed ways are much more rigid than some rods taken from an ink-jet printer that most use on 3-d printers.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

memoryman

In no way do I diss the Sherline; they are great machine for cost and size. Maybe money could be made selling a 3D attachment; that just is not my interest.
I visualise a universal cnc machine with extendable X-axis (almost plug'n play) with other features not available in a small desktop machine.  My selling price would start around $4k, so not a low cost machine. I see a gap in the market that is not filled.
I am also very interested in developing a uv resin based 3D printer with unusual features. Lack of resources (read: money) keeps me limited.
Btw, 3 jaw chucks are available for the Sherline of course.