Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Using Dead Alkaline AA Cells to Power Battery Electric Clock

Started by chemist6146, January 24, 2016, 07:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chemist6146

I have done some experiments with powering battery clock movements with 'dead' alkaline AA batteries.

If you go to: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swUT8YKoYow

You will see how two AA cells that are below a Volt may be soldered into a series configuration and, with the addition of an electrolytic capacitor, will power a standard battery electric clock movement, possibly for a very long time--it is too early to say for how long. 

The idea uses the wide tolerance of these clock movements to supply voltage.  In normal use the clock will run with a new battery giving 1.5 or 1.6 Volts and carry on until the battery has discharged down to around a Volt before the clock stops.  However, this sort of clock movement will tolerate 2 Volts and two 'dead' cells in series will supply this and the clock then run all the way down to 1 Volt by which the individual cells are well and truly dead.

Precautions are taken to protect against corrosive cell leakage which is a hazard when alkaline cells are discharged down to a very low level.

You will not find many ideas as simple as this one!

Paul-R

I tend to ignore what it says on the casing and put them in a recharger. Most just charge up. Some don't and some leak a small amount of what might be nasty liquid. Care must be taken.