Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

The Fourth Fundamental Passive Circuit Element

Started by gravityblock, March 02, 2016, 12:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravityblock

Quote from: Nink on March 04, 2016, 01:21:42 AM
You are right DARPA does not believe that they will even reach 3200 Snyapse in 10 years and I don't either.

They are not stupid enough to invest any more money in memristors. Game over

Please provide a reference to your false assertion above.

Graock
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

God will confuse the wise with the simplest things of this world.  He will catch the wise in their own craftiness.

Nink

DARPA had a budget of 100M they gave IBM ~56 Million and HP / HRL ~ 42M. The project wound down last year and the rest of the money went to various awards to universities etc.   Most of this  info should be public knowledge.  The problem was memristors is they don't scale as you need a 30+ nm air gap for each memristor where IBM can use FinFET technology that can scale the entire synapse chip down to 14nm and => 5nm around 2020 

Please provide a reference to show that DARPA is investing in Memristor after the SyNAPSE project was completed.

mscoffman

I personally don't think there is a very good future for these hybrid circuit devices. Quantum
Computing is just about as hard circuit wise and its capabilities can't be touched by any other
computational mechanism especially for those used in AI. Similar to free energy, Quantum
Computing is so computationally disruptive that it may not be allowed to grow freely but that
doesn't mean its shadow won't be felt competitively. If AI can be based in quantum computers
and natural intelligence doesn't already use it, humans may wish to stand back. These are just
my opinions.

Nink

Quote from: mscoffman on March 04, 2016, 03:27:58 PM
I personally don't think there is a very good future for these hybrid circuit devices. Quantum
Computing is just about as hard circuit wise and its capabilities can't be touched by any other
computational mechanism especially for those used in AI. Similar to free energy, Quantum
Computing is so computationally disruptive that it may not be allowed to grow freely but that
doesn't mean its shadow won't be felt competitively. If AI can be based in quantum computers
and natural intelligence doesn't already use it, humans may wish to stand back. These are just
my opinions.

I agree. Quantum is probably the future of AI but it is really hard to separate fact from fiction on the current state.   D Wave is boasting a 1000 qubit but I personally think it is all smoke and mirrors and all they provide is quantum simulation. If they were really true quantum computers with 1000 qubits all existing simultaneously in multiple states, at 1000 qubits they could break every encryption system on the planet.  IARPA (DARPA baby brother) commissioned IBM to work on solving this problem last year but I think we need to clearly define just what the definition of a multi state quantum computer actually is before we can agree that anyone has actually developed even a true single qubit quantum computer.

gravityblock

Quote from: Nink on March 04, 2016, 08:00:27 AM
DARPA had a budget of 100M they gave IBM ~56 Million and HP / HRL ~ 42M. The project wound down last year and the rest of the money went to various awards to universities etc.   Most of this  info should be public knowledge.  The problem was memristors is they don't scale as you need a 30+ nm air gap for each memristor where IBM can use FinFET technology that can scale the entire synapse chip down to 14nm and => 5nm around 2020 

Please provide a reference to show that DARPA is investing in Memristor after the SyNAPSE project was completed.

I asked for a reference for your assertion that DARPA doesn't believe they'll even reach 3200 Snyapses in 10 years, and your reply above is on DARPA's budget, scale-ability, etc.  I never made the claim that DARPA is investing in memristors after the SyNAPSE project, so you asking for a reference is a red herring.

Knowm's new memristor improves efficient AI processors

Gravock
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

God will confuse the wise with the simplest things of this world.  He will catch the wise in their own craftiness.