Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Cooling ferrofluid by strong magnets

Started by andreas_varesi, May 15, 2005, 05:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andreas_varesi

Using strong Neodym magnets to attract a ferrofluid should slow down the Brownian movement of the nanomagnets. The result must be a cooling of the liquid. As the energy must not get lost the magnet should get warmer. Maybe there is a possibility to collect ambient warmth from ferrofluid to heat up a magnet. So it should be possible to generate a thermic potential difference from ambient temperature. A classical case of 2nd "law" violation.

What do you think about this? I will try this and let you know whether it works.

Regards Andreas

betajim

Quote from: andreas_varesi on May 15, 2005, 05:50:17 PM
Using strong Neodym magnets to attract a ferrofluid should slow down the Brownian movement of the nanomagnets. The result must be a cooling of the liquid. As the energy must not get lost the magnet should get warmer. Maybe there is a possibility to collect ambient warmth from ferrofluid to heat up a magnet. So it should be possible to generate a thermic potential difference from ambient temperature. A classical case of 2nd "law" violation.

Even with neodymium magnets the magnetocaloric is very small for iron based materials. Gadolinium
based materials have twice the magnetocaloric effect, but even then superconducting magnets are
used. With the small amount of cooling that occures with iron, why would the magnet heat up (unless
the magnet is in contact with the ferrofluid). I doubt that any conservation law is broken by the
magnetocaloric effect.

I'm sure you could do a very good experiment comparing the magnetocaloric effect of ferrofluid to
other iron based materials. That would be very interesting!

andreas_varesi

First results are available, but my thermometer is not sensitive enough to detect temperature differences that are less than 1 degree Celsius.
Very interesting is that a strong magnetic field forms spikes within the ferrofluid. But the magnetic field also superposes the Brownian movement so the nano particles within the ferrofluid begin to stick together. So after several hours the spikes disappear and the ferrofluid forms a drop. After removing the magnetic field, the Brownian movement needs about an hour to disperse the nanoparticles within the fluid again. Only after that the ferrofluid can form spikes again. As soon as I have a highly sensitive thermometer I will repeat the experiment and post the results.

Regards

Andreas

betajim

Quote from: andreas_varesi on May 17, 2005, 06:12:51 AM
First results are available, but my thermometer is not sensitive enough to detect temperature differences that are less than 1 degree Celsius.

Hi Andreas,

To get the precision you need, you will likely have to use a thermocouple for the
temperature measurements. You might want to check what thermsisters digikey.com
has available, they may have something with the precision you need.

You will have to keep everything well insulated as well so that you get good
measurements.

Take care.

andreas_varesi

Hi betajim,

thanks for your advice. I think it will last two or three weeks to get the right thermometer and to set up an insulated measurement surrounding.

Regards

Andreas