Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Stirling Engine

Started by mindsweeper, August 09, 2007, 09:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resonanceman

I  forgot a little  detail  about the   compressor  disk 

It turns out that   on a disk  like this   at the  place where the  air  exits   you have a choice to make .

The normal way  to  do it is to have the  compressed air just flow  straight  out .

If  you   design  the  vanes on the  disk  so that they curve  you can  have the  air exit almost   parallel  to  the  direction of  motion .......... in other words  you can get some free thrust   from  the  air .

gary

joegatt

Yes Gary, the heat reservoir between the hot side and the cold side is important for the efficiency of a stirling. It's called a re-generator. In the case of a gamma stirling, like the one in my picture, this function is partly fullfilled by the temperature gradient along the walls of the displacer cylinder, and those of the displacer itself.

By the way, if you want to recover web pages from a discontinued website, you may find them on www.webarchive.org , if you're lucky.  But I wouldn't worry too much about it. From what you said about that O.U. design, it all sounds pretty complicated. The simplest designs are usually the best.

For example, I once toyed with the idea of using a linear motor to drive the displacer thereby eliminating leaky seals. However it turns out that, for a small machine at least, the whole setup becomes very inefficient!

Anyway, I'll try to stay focused on my rotary for now, and I promise to post pics and movies if I manage to get it running.

Regards
Joseph

resonanceman

Quote from: joegatt on July 12, 2008, 03:02:45 AM
Yes Gary, the heat reservoir between the hot side and the cold side is important for the efficiency of a stirling. It's called a re-generator. In the case of a gamma stirling, like the one in my picture, this function is partly fullfilled by the temperature gradient along the walls of the displacer cylinder, and those of the displacer itself.

By the way, if you want to recover web pages from a discontinued website, you may find them on www.webarchive.org , if you're lucky.  But I wouldn't worry too much about it. From what you said about that O.U. design, it all sounds pretty complicated. The simplest designs are usually the best.

For example, I once toyed with the idea of using a linear motor to drive the displacer thereby eliminating leaky seals. However it turns out that, for a small machine at least, the whole setup becomes very inefficient!

Anyway, I'll try to stay focused on my rotary for now, and I promise to post pics and movies if I manage to get it running.

Regards
Joseph

Joseph

The  compressor disk  would  take some doing    .......The rest of the motor is pretty simple .

I am looking forward  to  seeing  your progress.

gary

TinselKoala

I've built a few Stirlings, and I have a rotary-displacer LTD unit under construction right now. The seals are the big problem for me.
Here is a video of a small  coffee-cup Stirling that I built a couple of years ago. The power cylinder is graphite, the power piston is aluminum, the displacer is pink construction foam, the working gas is helium in the video, but air is fine too, just less efficient. It will do 600 RPM on a good day, and usually runs for 60-65 minutes on the heat from a cup of hot coffee.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2bmktk95xcx
I'll try to post some pictures of the rotary construction project. I'd like to see other's designs for this too.
Thanks--
Tinsel

resonanceman

Quote from: TinselKoala on July 12, 2008, 11:58:50 AM
I've built a few Stirlings, and I have a rotary-displacer LTD unit under construction right now. The seals are the big problem for me.
Here is a video of a small  coffee-cup Stirling that I built a couple of years ago. The power cylinder is graphite, the power piston is aluminum, the displacer is pink construction foam, the working gas is helium in the video, but air is fine too, just less efficient. It will do 600 RPM on a good day, and usually runs for 60-65 minutes on the heat from a cup of hot coffee.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2bmktk95xcx
I'll try to post some pictures of the rotary construction project. I'd like to see other's designs for this too.
Thanks--
Tinsel

Tinsel

That  is a really cool  sterling

Very well built

I had hopes of   using    the heat  from  the  water / plasma     to  drive a sterling .
Judging  by   another thread  ........if  it  can be called  cold fog   there might  not be enough  heat there .

Is there enough heat  released to  capture  with an engine ?
If not ...... I have seen  videos  of  engines   kicking over with water alone .     What would be  driving them ? just  the shock wave?

gary