Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

New way to make electricity with hydrogen

Started by overtaker, January 04, 2009, 08:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overtaker

Well I am in the half baked section so here I go.   While watching a video about a new hydrogen torch, I was very impressed with the effect the flame had on what ever it was cutting. The flame itself is less then 300deg. yet it can cut through tungsten at 10,000deg.  What ever temp. is required to cut any metal......no problem with this 300deg. flame.  I couldn't help but to think there has to be a way to turn that enormous amount of heat into energy. I first thought of using that heat to make steam for a turbine. A friend in the family ( MUCH brighter then I ) said the numbers don't add up. Any one else have any ideas on how to convert this heat to energy?

Creativity

i don't know where u got the info but hydrogen burns with about 3000degC.Tungsten has melting point around 3700degC...also temperature and heat flux are two different things.
Blues it through your outstanding life,leaving more than just footsteps behind (1999 B-stok by me).

By being intensively responsive to what others say,i do run a risk: I open myself up to the opinions of others.i will,at times, have a great understanding for their opinion.Sometimes,i will even change my own opinion because i realize that the other person is right.This "risk" i do not run if i am unresponsive to what others say.

overtaker

Both figures came from the video. He claims the flame from the torch is less then 300deg. He even runs his hand across it.  The 10,000deg. figure also came from the video. It's a 10 min. video but interesting.

CrazyEwok

unfortunately there is no efficient way to convert heat into electricity... The closest maybe PL's diode array if it uses amient energy... but that is still theory ATM (well theory to everyone but PL, which PL i think it is ingeneous and should work and obey all the laws!!!) But that torch is a Hydrogen torch and they are very efficient in themselves. I have seen them work all over the place. You want to spin yourself out get one of these torches and a laser thermometer. And use that on the flame and then cut different substances...

Shanti

Well I think what you saw is a video about Browns Gas or about monoatomic hydrogen...

The trick with the monoatmic hydrogen is, that you don't burn it like hydrogen to get the heat. You get the heat just by recombining the single H-Atoms to H2-Molecules. And for this process metals act like a catalyst. Therefore if you place this stream to your hand, it will not heat up much, but if you place a metal in this stream the recombination heat will heat it instantly...

Quoteunfortunately there is no efficient way to convert heat into electricity...

Well this is easily desribed by the Carnot-Efficiency. If you want to have an efficient conversion from heat to mechanical work energy (electricity through generator) you need a big temperature delta. E.g. you need to heat something very much to temperature T1, and then you cool it to temperature T2. The Carnot-Efficiency is then: n=1-T2/T1 (temperatures relative to absolute zero!).
E.g. if you would be able to heat something to 3000 Kelvin and the cool it to 300 Kelvin, then you would have an conversion efficiency of 90%. Surely it is very unrealistic to use a turbine at this temperatures...
Additionally you would have losses due to imperfect Turbines and Generators. But today these losses are not that big anymore...
But e.g. take  a Jet-Engine. They do have such high efficiencies! For they have a very high temperature and pressure in the burning chamber...