Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Changing a car into an EV

Started by JoinTheFun, June 23, 2009, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoinTheFun

Since an EV doesn't need gears nor clutch, would it be viable to replace the gear box and clutch by an electric engine and use the ICE just as a generator, that kicks in when the batteries run low ? Necessary extra batteries under the rear seat and part of the trunk result in added weight, of course.
Maybe someone good with numbers could see what an average ICE could produce as regards electricity.

jibbguy

There are city busses in Europe that are now testing this: A "Diesel-Electric" system similar to that used in train locomotives for 70 years or more. The main problem with this is, it's highly expensive to do, beyond what most peeps would be willing to try. But it could raise mileage by more than 120% from what i've seen.

The ideas i've seen for this that seem better efficiency-wise are related to either using hydraulic individual wheel hub motors, or compressed air motors. The ICE is used to either charge the hydraulic condensers or air tanks on demand, which are then used to run the motors.

Most of these systems have the benefit of allowing intermittent single-speed & torque operation of the ICE, so it can be very fuel-efficient compared to having to constantly run in variable periods of high torque/speeds, then idle. But again, the problem with converting a standard car is "cost", for one thing, you would really want smaller and specifically-design ICE's that better take advantage of the steady throttle aspect.

I was thinking, the "Mighty Yet Tiny" (MYT) motor design by Raphial Morgado might turn out to be perfect for these kinds of applications ;)

Goat

Hi All...good subject  :)

I looked at converting an Chevy S10 project back in the early '90's but back then the cost was really high at about 10,000 US $ for a short run of 80 miles per charge.

I always wondered if you couldn't extend the mileage by adding a diesel generator to assist the batteries, long before hybrid's came to being I might add :) The other day my brother said he seen that kind of setup on the news or some show  :o  but I haven't found it online yet....

The thought I originally had was to reduce the amount of batteries needed as compared to a normal EV which would reduce the weight of the EV.

Since sometime now I've been dreaming of a day where I could afford to get enough money and time to put together a GEET style setup in the back of my S10 with a small diesel/generator to reduce the amount of fuel and lower emissions. 

The aim would be to ditch the ICE/Transmission/Alternator in order to reduce friction and drag by using either a AC or DC motor, maybe even use super/ultra caps as a possible means of lowering weight even further. 

Does anyone think this type of setup could work and if not why not?

Regards,
Paul

onthecuttingedge2005

I think the first step is turning your wheel rotors into Electrical Generators for starters.

a transmission should be employed for different terrains that might zap energy from the system in the form of over heating. especially 4% to 6% grades.

building a large High density capacitor say 4ft x 8ft x 1ft would do the job nicely for a long distance run about vehicle.

you want to conform to aerodynamics to cut resistances and maybe even employ molded type flexible solar cell tech as an undercoat skin on the vehicle.

some Thermal Electric peltiers  in key locations to recapture lost energy as heat.

construct all Motor casings from Aluminum or Carbon composite to cut weight, build Chassis and body from Carbon Composites as well to reduce more weight. use Plexiglas for windows to reduce weight.

that's it for now except for getting into Aerogel bodies and frames.

Jerry

JoinTheFun

Well, I was just thinking of easy and low-cost  conversion. Of course lots of improvements are possible, but just to change the cars that we now have, I wondered if it was doable.
The ICE is probably far too heavy for its purpose of generating electricity, but it saves time and money to leave it where it is, if at all possible, assuming that removal of the gears and clutch provide enough room to install an electric engine that's powerful enough.