Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

How to Measure output of Tesla coil

Started by clone477, August 18, 2009, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clone477

Guys,
I was searching and trying to find a why to measure the output of a Tesla coils secondary.  The only way I found was measuring the length of the discharges, and that will give you a rough idea.  But can you use some type of resistance, such as incandesent bulbs wires in series, or maybe a resistive electric heater??  As far as I know resistive element should'nt be bothered by HF, or am I mistaken?  But what about the high voltage??  If you wire enough resistive loads in series that should handle the high voltage, but how many resistive loads?

Can anyone suggest a way to measure the output in watts?? 
Thanks Fern

onthecuttingedge2005

Hi Clone.

3kV per mm at 0 sea level = 30kV per cm at 0 sea level.

Elevation and Dielectric constant of air and moister changes these variables, you can use a micrometer to make more accurate measurements.

Jerry ;)

flathunter

Hi guys!

I'm asking exactly the same question (how do i measure the output of a TC) on the other thread ''Tesla coils and CFLs''.

As I understand its very very difficult as the output is such high frequency.  I wouldnt even dream of putting a multimetre near it!  So any ideas from the brainy chaps here?  Come on...I know there are lots of you!  At the moment, im just trying to measure useful output - how many CFLs can I light from receiver coil connections?  I can light loads of CFLs, and even some diode bulbs.  I havent managed a filament light bulb.......yet..... ;)

Any suggestions?

???

xee2

The main problem is that the output is pulsed. So there are very high voltage pulses with very low voltage between them. The way I measured the output of a flyback transformer was to make a 1000:1 resistive voltage divider. But of course the Tesla coil would need a 10,000:1 divider. Then I used a diode and capacitor to get the peak voltage. Once the peak voltage is know, then the peak power can be computed from volts squared divided by the divider resistance. To get the average power out, a scope would need to be loosely coupled (wire in air 10 feet away) and the duty factor of the pulses would need to be measured. Then the average power out of Tesla coil is peak power times duty factor. Complicated but it can be done (with great care for safety).

NOTE: multiple resistors are used so that the voltage drop across each resistor is low enough that a spark will not jump over it.