Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Wiki's & forums are no good for Prior-Art

Started by PaulLowrance, January 28, 2010, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_big_m_in_ok

Quote from: PaulLowrance on January 28, 2010, 03:33:29 PM
Yes, patents are hold more weight, but often inventors would publish their work, prior-art, at wikipedia, and then later on use that as prior-art to file a patent. That no longer holds weight in court. I know of various online magazines that specialize in prior-art that hold weight in court, but they charge money to publish prior-art.
... If you know of a free online source that holds weight in the court, then please post the source.
Thanks
I did check several radio antenna patents.  None referenced anything but written records (IEEE papers, periodical publications, etc.)

If Wikipedia cannot be used as a patent reference, then the Wikipedia sub-references can be used as long as they're qualified as bona-fide in acceptable sources of information.  "Acceptable" is a matter of opinion, though.

Wikipedia is only one source of references and the staff at Wikipedia should check the sources for accuracy.  They do have some reputation to uphold.

--Lee
"Truth comes from wisdom and wisdom comes from experience."
--Valdemar Valerian from the Matrix book series

I'm merely a theoretical electronics engineer/technician for now, since I have no extra money for experimentation, but I was a professional electronics/computer technician in the past.
As a result, I have a lot of ideas, but no hard test results to back them up---for now.  That could change if I get a job locally in the Bay Area of California.

PaulLowrance

In the US a provisional patent is officially prior-art at the time of the filing. The cost at this time is $220, or $110 if you qualify as a small entity. Does anyone know who qualifies as a small entity?

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resources/types/provapp.jsp

Personally I would submit my prior-art to a non-government entity that specializes in publishing prior-art, and then I would do a provisional patent. Hey, I just don't trust some of the people working in the patent office.

ramset

Paul

I have 2 questions?
!} If I come on this [or any] public forum and say .

"OK folks" grab your pen and paper I'm going to show you step by step
From start to finish .
How to build a better widget!
2]
Ok folks Grab your pen and paper
Yah know that old Tesla patent
I FIGURED IT OUT
and I'm gonna show you how he did it
step by step right here right know!!

Paul are you saying that someone can patent
example #1
example #2
??
BTW in these examples the discloser has no intent on patenting anything
Just the opposite ,the intent is to make the info unpatentable ,
Open source
can that intent be accomplished by method #1  or #2??
Chet
Whats for yah ne're go bye yah
Thanks Grandma

PaulLowrance

Quote from: ramset on January 30, 2010, 10:35:12 AM
Paul

I have 2 questions?
!} If I come on this [or any] public forum and say .

"OK folks" grab your pen and paper I'm going to show you step by step
From start to finish .
How to build a better widget!
2]
Ok folks Grab your pen and paper
Yah know that old Tesla patent
I FIGURED IT OUT
and I'm gonna show you how he did it
step by step right here right know!!

Paul are you saying that someone can patent
example #1
example #2
??
BTW in these examples the discloser has no intent on patenting anything
Just the opposite ,the intent is to make the info unpatentable ,
Open source
can that intent be accomplished by method #1  or #2??
Chet

That's a good question for someone who knows a lot about patents, which excludes someone like me. I started this thread because of what the patent office was quoted as saying.

I would say #1 is patentable, and #2 is iffy, but the point of this thread is that if a person wants to make something open-sourced, then merely posting the images & details at a forum or wiki appears to be insufficient proof for such prior art.  Date stamp of wiki's and forums can be changed by admins and potential hackers.

So IMO a well backed company could ripoff such inventions, and patent them to claim them. What I would do is find some inexpensive well established acceptable publication company that specialize in prior-art, and then if it's a huge invention, like a self-runner, I would also quickly do an online provisional patent.

Publication companies that specialize in prior-art work in a law suite because they distribute your prior art in hardcopy form, magazine or CD, to thousands of people.

btw, looks like the Steorn live cameras are coming up, off & on.

the_big_m_in_ok

Quote from: PaulLowrance on January 30, 2010, 10:56:15 AM
Publication companies that specialize in prior-art work in a law suite because they distribute your prior art in hardcopy form, magazine or CD, to thousands of people.
I know of only one reliable prior art site that distributes free material, and it's really old material at that:

NASA Technical Report Server
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp

All other publications that I know of with respect to my main area of interest(aerospace engineering) involve a paid subscription to a periodical.

The AIAA comes to my mind immediately.  For electronic engineering, the IEEE would probably be the organization, I believe.  They started in electrical engineering in 1884.  These two organizations are essentially nonprofit, but they cannot exist without bringing in money to sustain operations and publications---i.e., they cost money.  None are free.

--Lee

"Truth comes from wisdom and wisdom comes from experience."
--Valdemar Valerian from the Matrix book series

I'm merely a theoretical electronics engineer/technician for now, since I have no extra money for experimentation, but I was a professional electronics/computer technician in the past.
As a result, I have a lot of ideas, but no hard test results to back them up---for now.  That could change if I get a job locally in the Bay Area of California.