Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Pumping air into space, and lighter than air composite vacume spheres

Started by Cloxxki, April 17, 2010, 05:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloxxki

Picture a typical orbiting space station. An air hose of any diameter comes down, to earth. Yes, I know, it will pull the station back in, out of orbit. But about the hose.
On earth, 14.7psi or whatever ambient is, will be measured. On the station side, 0 psi or thereabouts.

So, if we'd pump additional air into the hose, how many would we need to get it to 14.7 at the station? Quick logic says another 14.7psi, but it probabaly doesn't work that easily. Pressure also dependant on total amount of air in orbit, right? Or do we have all the air in orbit that will "stick", do we lose excess on the vacume

Another thought. Once the hose is pressurized, 30 or more PSI at the surface, to get a nice breathable desinity at the station...an air balloon would have less issues reaching great height, going through it. It's easier to build a ligher-than-air  vessel, if the air is thicker. If the vessel floats in 14.7psi, it will make it up there, into space, just floating on the pressure.
Perhaps a naive thought, but that seems like approaching OU. You have the pressurized column of air, and we keep sending up goods (with mass) into space this way.
Sure, we could use this idea today building skyscrapers.

Idea for an air-inflatible cold-air balloon, that will go UP.
Balloon features double walls.
Inner wall is sealed, no valve there.
Valve sits between the walls
Walls are placed close together, and risistant to distancing under pressure build-up, yet flexible concentrically to act as a balloon.

Inflate the double wall, it increases in size. A vacume in the core is formed. If constructed well, the air weight "missing" from the core will be greater than the balloon' weight plus the additional air inside the double wall. Floats up!

The double wall is additionally filled with liquid sealent, so that any puncture on either wall, will be self-mending. This works great on bicycle and rally tires.

In my little theory, the vacume balloon  will float higher than a helium one.

Alternatively, one could attempt to build a lightweight rigid sphere, concentrically stiff. Sphere might well feature a 64x tetrahedran shaped inner skeleton. I need to credit Nassim Haramein and his fractal presentation for giving me that idea.
Deflate, and let it take off. Never quite into space, due to weighing more than a vacume, and starting in the grip of earth's gravital pull (or aether dip if you will).

On step further would be the make the inner skeleton inflatible, possibly pushing the outer skin of the sphere out more than air was added. Far-fetched...

Anything useful in my long uncontrolled brainfart?

Thanks,

J

mscoffman

Large structures are susceptible to something
called atmospheric overpressure. A few lbs per
square foot overpressure is enough to collapse
large structures like office buildings. So I think
balloons would be susceptible to that.

But...If you think about an object floating in
water or liquid mercury metal for example. One
could use a vacuum piston to create a floating
object that is lighter than air buoyant that
could not collapse its enclosing structure.
I use these as analytical models for perpetual
motion machines because you don't have to
take into account any re-pressurization of gasses
due to Boyd's Law with fluid depth or temperature.
Once a object contains a vacuum, that's it,
it will always displaces the same amount of
fluid and be the same weight. One could actually
inflate one of these using a hydraulic jack
mechanisms. It could be a free piston or metal
bellows type device. It obviously would not float
away in air because of the weight of the enclosure.

:S:MarkSCoffman

onthecuttingedge2005

I think the vacuum balloon was done in the 20's though I could never find any articles on it, it was a thin walled sphere made of pure Beryllium, the volume of air displacement made the Beryllium sphere lighter than air and would float to the ceiling.

the best material to use for Vacuum bubbles is ultra thin diamond walls though nano tube carbon fiber might do the trick if it was constructed into a solid but very rigid material and keeping the weight ration down to a minimum.

1 pound of displaced air should be able to lift 1 pound of weight.

Low-Q

1 pound is about 350 litres og air. 1m3 of air weights about 1.4kg (3 pounds). It depends on temperature and air pressure. At -20oC 1m3 air weights twice as much as at +20oC

Cloxxki

Thanks for the responses!

I'll try to find something about vacume balloons in my language, we have some pretty good aerospace universities.

Indeed, large bodies don't like pressure. And compressing a structure takes more engineering to withstand than expansion. A friend of mine patented an aluminum O-shaped bolt in 2 or 3 parts, which wedges itself stuck, creating immense pressure. Sufficient to take out the slack from a high-load spline connection.
Perhaps the balloon would need to be comprised of many smaller ones. I instinctively like the tetrahedran stick figures, although the sticks are bound to be multiple times more fragile in compressed mode than in pulled mode. This to the increased likelihood that forces will be offset. A pulling tension by design is a straight like. A compressed rod buckles up.

The same reason a dome is a great structure for a church, a sphere works great for a vacume vessel. Ever particle supports the other. One might be inclined to place some extra support rods in there, but those would only weaken the structure by creating disbalance in the stresses.
Nice about spheres is they have minimal surface area for the number of volume units it holds. It might turn out that large is better. Once you're set on a skin type, centainly increasing size until the maximum it'll take is worth it.

It would be a great design assignment for an aerospace university, to come up with coputer models of the lightest possible sphere, relying on air displacement by a large body of (near) vacuum. Basically, a lightweight vacuum container. Withstand up to one bar, and weigh significantly less than air at 1 bar. Existing materials, or make materials of your own.

I'm now re-intrigued by my own double wall idea. Bicycle rims (bikes are my forte) are also double walled, for strength. A double balloon wall, tension-tethered against distancing and yet also aerogel filled against compressing. A double wall would logically perform better as size was greater. I can see that resisting the one bar external overpressure... Thinking star stadium sized. A stadium holds some air weight.

Look here, similar, but more classical approach:
http://semiform.semiarch.com/URBAN_Solar%20Molecules.html