Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Segmented Electromagnet Cores

Started by rukiddingme, June 03, 2010, 10:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rukiddingme

Is there any difference in magnetic field strength between an electromagnet with a single solid core and an electromagnet with a core that has two or more segments?

Thanks in advance.

gyulasun

Hi,

how do you mean the segments?  Lengthwise, radialwise? Best would be to make a simple drawing, even in MS Paint.

gyulasun

Thanks for the drawing. Wished to know how you meant.

I do not think it would give any advantage, especially not if there are air gaps left between the segments.

In electromagnets, the core's permeability and the number of turns that mainly counts. Attract force depends on B2 so the core should have high saturation flux data, and you have to consider the cross section area of the core. 
And if you have to switch the electromagnet on and off with a certain frequency (even if with only 5-10 Hz), then you have to start to consider eddy current losses in the core.

Have you seen this post by member DMMPOWER here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=4624.msg96814#msg96814

He sums the flux of the permanent magnet with the flux of the electromagnet, so a stronger electromagnet is the result for the same input excitation. Be careful to choose the core material to avoid saturation from the summed fluxes. And a good sing is that when the coil is off the flux of the permanent magnet is closed within the core, not much or no leakage to the outside.

If you use the Search function on this Forum with key word electromagnet, you may find further hints on them.
Gyula

rukiddingme

Thanks for the reply.

I was more concerned if the multiple segments would be a detriment, I wasn't looking to gain anything from this.

Would the segments cause any decrease in the magnetic field?